Varnishes

Hi All,

I need your help: I am in the early stages of a Kotare Spitfire Mk1 in the ‘works in progress’ section. I’ve painted the cockpit base colours and now want to do a pin wash. 

I am using Humbrol enamels for all of the base colours. For a pin wash I need to do a gloss varnish coat and then a satin and/or matt varnish over the wash. Any recommendations on any specific varnishes to use? I’ve not sprayed varnish/clear coats before. 

kind regards, 

Paul

My usual go-to finishing varnish is Gunze/Mr Color GX100 lacquer, dries very fast and goes from near flat to gloss depending on the number of coats you apply.

Having said that, these days I’m using Future (Klir or whatever they call it) floor wax for small intricate surfaces like cockpit interiors and wheel wells.
It has the consistency of water and dries in minutes. I apply it quickly with a flat, soft brush. A thin coat is enough to protect the enamel before the wash.

HTH

Quang

As far as I remember, you can use lacquer over enamel but NOT enamel over lacquer.

If you use Future/Klir, just one quick coat with the brush is enough but make sure that all the recesses are covered. You don’t need to achieve a glass-smooth surface.

I recommend either Alclad Aqua Gloss or AK intermediate Guazy Agent. They are both acrylic gloss varnish and they are perfect for any oil, enamel, or clay wash. Apply at 12-15psi make sure they go on wet. Given it 45 mins and you can start applying washes. 

I have done  it lacquer over enamael jsut dont spray it wet   according to ai

According to some sources, lacquer can be used over most fully cured enamels that have good film integrity. However, others say that lacquer should not be applied over enamel:
  • Lacquer solvents: Lacquer solvents are stronger, faster evaporating, and "hotter" than enamel solvents. The lacquer solvents can "dissolve" the enamel paint underneath them, leading to "alligatoring" or cracking.
  • Chemical attack: Lacquer can chemically attack the enamel causing wrinkles, eaten paint, or just soft spots.
  • Craising: Lacquer or dope can craze the enamel and make a swirled up mess.
  • Removing paint: The enamel will lift and make a mess if you put lacquer over it.