MRP equivalent of Tamiya XF-66?

Shoggz

Afternoon all. I'm beavering away with the quite intricate engine contained within the Trumpeter P-47.

On previous builds that have this engine, (e.g. Corsair birdcage), I've used Tamiya XF-66 for the blue/grey colour, but ideally as I've converted to MRP now I'd like to use their equivalent, but I'm buggered if I can find out what it is. Can any of you fine folk enlighten me at all please?

On 2/5/2024 at 6:29 PM, Shoggz said:

Afternoon all. I'm beavering away with the quite intricate engine contained within the Trumpeter P-47.

On previous builds that have this engine, (e.g. Corsair birdcage), I've used Tamiya XF-66 for the blue/grey colour, but ideally as I've converted to MRP now I'd like to use their equivalent, but I'm buggered if I can find out what it is. Can any of you fine folk enlighten me at all please?

Tamiya XF-66 is the equivalent to FS 35237 "Medium Grey" - that would be MRP-105 "Navy Grey-Blue"

However - Tamiya XF-66 seems to be more blue to my eyes but that shoud be the correct color according to the conversion table I found. 

/Niels

Hi Richard.
I was painting my wheels and U/C when I read your message.
I don't know if this can help you, but I find the gray I'm using quite close to what you're looking for.
It's MRP 021, which I use to paint the cockpit and U/C of my Yak 9.
As a bonus, I painted 4 spoons in MRP 021 and then painted with the clearcoats (from left to right): MRP 127 super clear mat / MRP 126 super clear semimat / MRP 125 super clear semigloss / MRP 48 super clear gloss.

Color temperature of my 2 lamps : 6500K

ky8o.jpg

oeuj.jpg

Me again.
On Scalemates, the MRP 021 is given as (among other things) FS 26187.
The Tamiya XF 66 is listed as FS 16187.
So that confirms my first impression: these 2 paints are very close.

A-14 Faded Grey , MRP-021 Acrylic Lacquer Satin | MR.Paint | 30ml (scalemates.com)

Light Grey 81766, XF-66 Acrylic Matt | Tamiya | 10ml (scalemates.com)

Edited by Furie

The correct  color for a WWII circa R-2800 prop reduction gear case, crankcase, and accessory drive (rear of the engine) is Engine Grey; something akin to FS26081 (semi-gloss).  Of course you can change it to flat by changing the 2 to a 3 in the FS number.  It's also known as Euro I Grey.

Vallejo London Grey FS36081

MRP does not make a water-based acrylic equivalent by the same name but regular MRP is:

MRP Acrylic Lacquer FS36081

See KD431 below....unrestored.

v4F549l.jpg

Edited by Juggernut

On 2/9/2024 at 10:55 AM, Zola25 said:

Tamiya XF-66 is the equivalent to FS 35237 "Medium Grey" - that would be MRP-105 "Navy Grey-Blue"

However - Tamiya XF-66 seems to be more blue to my eyes but that shoud be the correct color according to the conversion table I found. 

/Niels

Thank you Niels.

On 2/9/2024 at 11:08 AM, Furie said:

Hi Richard.
I was painting my wheels and U/C when I read your message.
I don't know if this can help you, but I find the gray I'm using quite close to what you're looking for.
It's MRP 021, which I use to paint the cockpit and U/C of my Yak 9.
As a bonus, I painted 4 spoons in MRP 021 and then painted with the clearcoats (from left to right): MRP 127 super clear mat / MRP 126 super clear semimat / MRP 125 super clear semigloss / MRP 48 super clear gloss.

Color temperature of my 2 lamps : 6500K

ky8o.jpg

oeuj.jpg

Thank you Denis! That’s really handy.

On 2/9/2024 at 7:14 PM, Juggernut said:

The correct  color for a WWII circa R-2800 prop reduction gear case, crankcase, and accessory drive (rear of the engine) is Engine Grey; something akin to FS26081 (semi-gloss).  Of course you can change it to flat by changing the 2 to a 3 in the FS number.  It's also known as Euro I Grey.

Vallejo London Grey FS36081

MRP does not make a water-based acrylic equivalent by the same name but regular MRP is:

MRP Acrylic Lacquer FS36081

See KD431 below....unrestored.

v4F549l.jpg

Cheers Jug. I’ve spent many a minute gazing at that Corsair - I love the Fleet Air Arm museum.