Can you build the Revell P-51D "late" (P-51-D-15) as a P-51D-20 or D-25?

jeroen_R90S

While on vacation my wife brought me a surprise gift -a Revell P-51D-15 as a souvenier. I'd been looking at this kit a few times at the LHS but had not gotten it (too much to do already, not just model related!) and apparently she had picked up on that somehow and stumbled on it during a city trip while on vacation. (which I'm not too fond of myself, I prefer the forests and hills!).

I noticed there are some extra parts marked not for use and have been looking at some decals to do something else as the 55th and 31st FG options in the box (nice as they are).

The extra parts seem to include interiour bits (panels, gunsight, what looks like a throttle lever?) and was wondering if that is enough to turn a P-51D-15 as in the box, into a D-20 or D-25. (I would like to do "dove of peace", 353rd FG which according to the Zoukei Mura decals I'm eyeballing, was a D-25).duncan-1.jpg

I did read somewhere the gun camera shape changed after the D-15. That should be managable, but after some hours of Google if anything, my image of the P-51D as  standardized and well document has received a rather serious dent!

Anything else I'm overlooking, did anyone make a list, or is there a build that may refer to the extra bits?

Thanks!

Jeroen

Edited by jeroen_R90S

There’s a bunch of differences between the D-15 and D-20  and D-25.  Just from recollection the battery gets relocated from behind the pilot to under the engine cowl with a corresponding air scoop on the lower left side of the fuselage/ engine cowl (which is not present in the photo above) I think the battery may have been moved during the -30 NA production run but not entirely sure; 44-73060 is definitely a P-51D-25 NA and it is definitely not relocated (no scoop in the above photo).  A P-51D-25 NA would have zero length rocket rails under each wing.  I think the AN/APG-13 tail warning radar was standardized in the D-20/25 series.  Drop tank fuel line entry point were moved from alongside the rack to in front of the rack. Painting of the wheel wells became more standardized on the D-20/25 than was prior (CRC-359-1 - interior coating of zinc chromate primer to all interior metal surfaces (O'Leary pg 160)).  I think the hydraulic oil dip stick access panel was added in front of the windscreen with the D-20.  K-14 "Ace Maker" gunsight standardized on and after P-51D-20 NA (with corresponding throttle lever change to incorporate pipper adjustable knob).  Message bag (inside the cockpit) was deleted during P-51D-20 production run.  Gun camera cover introduced at P-51D-20 and subsequent.  Access panels on the engine cowls changed shapes (no longer identical size or shape) sometime during that period.  There are others changes that may or may not be visible and while I’ve done my best from memory, some of these changes I’ve mentioned need to be corroborated.  If I get the opportunity, I’ll have a look at my Mustang Manufacturing book (O’Leary) and see what he says changed.

Edited by Juggernut

That is an awesome reply, thank you very much for your effort!

Since you put in the effort I figured it might by useful to see what parts seem to be there so that others having the same question might find it helpful. Looking at the parts I would not be surprised to see Revell issue a later model as a complete model themselves, but for now this might be helpful.

On 9/3/2023 at 9:43 PM, Juggernut said:

There’s a bunch of differences between the D-15 and D-20  and D-25.  Just from recollection the battery gets relocated from behind the pilot to under the engine cowl with a corresponding air scoop on the lower left side of the fuselage/ engine cowl (which is not present in the photo above) I think the battery may have been moved during the -30 NA production run but not entirely sure; 44-73060 is definitely a P-51D-25 NA and it is definitely not relocated (no scoop in the above photo). 

Good to know, thanks!

A P-51D-25 NA would have zero length rocket rails under each wing.

These are in the kit on sprue K. The appropriate panel is part L146. This is already included in the instructions and as such decals are included, too. (although I can't seem to find any reference to the D-15 being able to carry rockets/having the stubs?)

Looking at photo's on the "littlefriends"  website it looks like the stubs were not actually fitted to this aircraft, so probably they are removable. At least I can use part L146 for the panel.

I think the AN/APG-13 tail warning radar was standardized in the D-20/25 series.

This is included in the kit (for the D-15 the panel lines and holes need to filled as indicated in the instructions)

Marked not for use are: antennae: K151/152/153 and K138 looks like the panel fitted in the cockpit, judging by a quick Google search of the system.

Drop tank fuel line entry point were moved from alongside the rack to in front of the rack.

They are also on the "late" L-sprue. I'll have to look more into them them but this would not be that hard to modify if they are not like this.

Painting of the wheel wells became more standardized on the D-20/25 than was prior (CRC-359-1 - interior coating of zinc chromate primer to all interior metal surfaces (O'Leary pg 160))

Much easier to paint on a model, too! :D

I think the hydraulic oil dip stick access panel was added in front of the windscreen with the D-20.

I need to look more in to this, but sounds like finding a good photo/drawing and some scribing if it is not there.

K-14 "Ace Maker" gunsight standardized on and after P-51D-20 NA (with corresponding throttle lever change to incorporate pipper adjustable knob). 

Hard to tell as it's clear, but there is a different marked "not for use" gunsight included as part M143. There is also what looks very much like a throtte lever (also not for use) included as part L145.

Message bag (inside the cockpit) was deleted during P-51D-20 production run

Deleting something is often a lot easier than adding -will look into this.

So a Dove without a message bag! :D

Gun camera cover introduced at P-51D-20 and subsequent.  Access panels on the engine cowls changed shapes (no longer identical size or shape) sometime during that period.

As with the oil stick panel, will need to look into this. There is a separate under cowling panel included (different from the D-5 boxing as far as I can tell) but I'd need to look into this a bit. :)

There is also what looks like an alternative part for what looks like the fuse panel on the right side of the cockpit included as K141. This looks like a fuse panel as well but smaller. Also, FWIW, it looks like a mirror is included as part K137, or it might be something else entirely! edit: just had a better look, it has a mounting attachment on the "flat" side so it's not a mirror.

Thanks again, though it might need some more looking to (mostly regarding the access panels and such) the rest seems doable thanks to foresight on part of the designer/Revell, or manageble :)

Should you stumble on something else I'd be happy to know and have a look at the kit so I might complete the list if it helps anyone else.

Jeroen

Edited by jeroen_R90S