Backdating a Zoukei-Mura A-1J to an A-1H

Bill Cross

1 hour ago, jeroen_R90S said:

Great photo -there's also a faint stencil "CO - Truong" or something alike behind the crew chief's

‘Cò Trưởng’ can be translated as ‘crew chief’ :)

aero_ad_162.jpg

Jeroen’s second pic is very interesting as it’s obviously one of the first batch of VNAF AD-6 updated with the new tactical camouflage.
Yet they didn’t bother to paint the underside leaving the original light grey paint together with the large national insignia on its characteristic end-of-wing location.
Also note the WWII vintage ‘iron’ bombs used by the early VNAF and the peculiar array of antenna on the fuselage top, typical of the ‘all-grey’ era Skyraiders.

On 3/20/2023 at 10:52 PM, quang said:

‘Cò Trưởng’ can be translated as ‘crew chief’ :)

Thanks, I have to admit my Vietnamese is rather poor :D

What's also interesting about this aircraft compared to the first one I posted, is that it seems to have the style of Rescue arrow and cockpit stencils the usually is seen on the grey or grey/white schemes.

Also in spite of being overpainted and such, a lot of VNAF Skyraiders seem to retain pylon stencils.

Jeroen

12 hours ago, jeroen_R90S said:

Thanks, I have to admit my Vietnamese is rather poor :D

What's also interesting about this aircraft compared to the first one I posted, is that it seems to have the style of Rescue arrow and cockpit stencils the usually is seen on the grey or grey/white schemes.

Also in spite of being overpainted and such, a lot of VNAF Skyraiders seem to retain pylon stencils.

Jeroen

This is just a guess ,but I think they remove the pylons in prep for repainting then reinstall them later. So they would still have the stenciling in place, again just a guess.