Airfix Spitfire Mk.IXc

Wynthorpe

1 hour ago, Duncan Doenitz said:

I would rather pay a few quid for some practice panels with a mix of features such as canvas over ribs, recessed rivets, convex rivets, flat panels, access doors, filler caps,  etc. etc. etc.

Good luck with your search :P

On 3/10/2023 at 3:08 PM, Duncan Doenitz said:

Agreed, the release of this kit has got me back into the hobby after 50 years. The problem is £90 spent on the kit, £500 spent on all the gear to do a proper job with no shortage of stuff still to buy. Translucent red, green and orange paint for the lights, smoke stain, panel line wash, clear coat and aerial rigging wire are on the shopping list. The model is spectacular though and the addition of after market seat belts is a must.

Does anyone have any tips on pre-shading and quick ways of doing it ? Should I just do the fabric flight surfaces on the elevators and rudder ? Can I use a marker pen to avoid faffing with the airbrush ?

Welcome back to modelling! I'm quite lucky in that I've still got my airbrush (Ammo Mig Cobra) and compressor, although all my paints were lent to a friend and not got them back, so I'm just buying lots of Ammo paint (really like the way it sprays). 

Now about my model, I've not actually done any more due to work (software developer at a retailer), but I did start building my 1/16 Takom Sherman, as with that it doesn't have an interior etc so can build it all then paint. 

Im still waiting for my resin wheels to arrive, but I think they are coming from a company in Ukraine so could be a while, I really want to crack on with my. spitfire though as the kit is so nice. 

On 3/10/2023 at 7:08 AM, Duncan Doenitz said:

Does anyone have any tips on pre-shading and quick ways of doing it ? Should I just do the fabric flight surfaces on the elevators and rudder ? Can I use a marker pen to avoid faffing with the airbrush ?

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=preshading+aircraft+models

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=model+plane+weathering

Hi Duncan, coffee or milk ?  ;)

14 hours ago, Wynthorpe said:

Im still waiting for my resin wheels to arrive, but I think they are coming from a company in Ukraine so could be a while, I really want to crack on with my. spitfire though as the kit is so nice. 

Why resin wheels? What about the stock ones?

On 3/10/2023 at 4:08 PM, Duncan Doenitz said:

If I may, since this is a new technique for me too, here are some links that I found interesting:

Thanks folks, I will enjoy watching the tutorials.

One tiny enhancement I have applied is to paint a "creep mark" white rectangle on each wheel spanning the hub and the tyre. It's something I have seen on many aircraft and provides a visual indication of the tyre slipping on the hub. This was particularly important for inner tubes.

"Danger - watch for tyre creep | Worth a Thousand Words - Air Diagrams | Archive Exhibitions | Exhibitions & Displays | Research | RAF Museum"

Hardly an expert but I think creep marks on tyres are more likely to be seen on more recent warbirds.

Likewise, the diamond (and other ‘special’) tread pattern was used later in the war when Allied aircraft began to use the hard, smooth surface of the occupied German landing strips instead of the British grassy fields. 
Of course I may be wrong. In any case the devil is in the details :P

Cheers,

Quang

3 hours ago, quang said:

Hardly an expert but I think creep marks on tyres are more likely to be seen on more recent warbirds.

Likewise, the diamond (and other ‘special’) tread pattern was used later in the war when Allied aircraft began to use the hard, smooth surface of the occupied German landing strips instead of the British grassy fields. 
Of course I may be wrong. In any case the devil is in the details :P

Cheers,

Quang

I just liked the look of them really and wanted to support a small business, id buy lots of resin and PE parts for my 1/16 Takom Sherman too if there was any.

It's probable that creep marks are as old as tubed aircraft tyres. The problem of the tyre slipping on the hub will probably have been around from day 1. IMHO, it looks good and is one of those little details that is easy to add. It's a shame that the Dunlop Logo is in the same position on both wheels w.r.t. the weight flat spot.

• 2 weeks later...