EE Lightning F1 Question

DonH

4 hours ago, DonH said:

I believe that the early Lightning F1s delivered to 74 squadron did not have arrestor hooks fitted.

Can anyone confirm this yes or no?

I rather think the arrestor hook was only fitted to the variants with the large ventral tank, ie the F6, F2a, and the T55; but I stand to be corrected.

From what I can see from walk arounds, XM135 at the IWM has a hook fitted. I am thinking that the F1A had the hook but not the initial F1s. There are plenty of photos of F1s without them, for sure, but I wonder why Airifix moulded the hook in their F1 kit if it wasn't ever fitted to small belly tank versions.

8 hours ago, Stevepd said:

I've got those lightning books, but I think MikeC is correct. Want me to go book diving?.

I would never want to stand between a man and his aviation books!

I am certain the early F1 did not have the hook fitted.

However, I still think hooks were fitted to other variants with small bellies. Airfix moulded it in a very specific position (offset from C/L) and someone must have seen it somewhere, surely.

If you look up images of MX192 (a F.1A) you will see an arrestor hook. Or at least a dark smudge on the photos that looks like it might be an arrestor hook if that is the confirmation bias you are looking for.

Had a quick look and found this. I'm sure the smudge is not a hook as there is no way it would be mounted off set, because if used in anger it would cause an unwanted pull to one side when the pilot is already busy.

https://in.pinterest.com/pin/817684876098575090/

I'm out and about today but I'll go book diving and come back to you this weekend.

Thanks! I will put a small wager of kudos points on the hook being offset. Mainly because I suspect this was a retrofit and there was stuff already in the way for a C/L installation. Just a guess.

Edited by DonH
Added stuff

OK so had a quick look and found a good few pages. The summary is;

Arrestor hooks were tandard fit for the F6 for 74 Sqn in Aug 66, with full release to service being Feb 67. Hooks were thought of as early as 1957 for th P1B but the introduction of the "safeland barrier" (the netting style arrestor barrier) halted any further consideration until the AUW of the lightning F3 became apparent. An arrestor hook was trialled on the F6 Development Aircraft XN725 (also the DB F3 aircraft) & XP693 in May 65.

The hook length is 57.5 inches.

I cannot find any reference or mention of the hook being offset. If you want a copy of the full piece, send me your email and I'll photograph them and fire over

Steve.

Edited by Stevepd
correct the bloody autocorrect.