Trumpeter Tomcat canopy

Tony T

My Trumpeter Tomcat's main canopy hood has some ridges on it which I'm uncertain should be there.

Luc Janssen kept them on his excellent build — 

https://www.largescaleplanes.com/articles/article.php?aid=3668

If they shouldn't be there we need a replacement canopy. My own VF-31 F-14D is in a plastic crate to start (box thrown out) so answers would be appreciated.

Sorry I can't post pics. I don't have an image host these days.

cheers

Tony 

Edited by Tony T
Edit

Not sure quite what you're describing Tony. 

Do you mean the internal ridges that run part way front to back from the rear and centre hoops of the main canopy, above where the seats are? If so, they should be there.  

If it's a mold line on the outside of the glazing that runs the entire length then that should not. 

Hth 

3 hours ago, geedubelyer said:

Not sure quite what you're describing Tony. 

Do you mean the internal ridges that run part way front to back from the rear and centre hoops of the main canopy, above where the seats are? If so, they should be there.  

If it's a mold line on the outside of the glazing that runs the entire length then that should not. 

Hth 

In the link I posted to Luc's Tomcat you should see that the ridges are moulded on the exterior or top of the canopy hood, and attempting to remove them could potentially destroy the canopy hood. There is a small mould line which can be scraped and polished off, but the ridges — yikes! I'm really surprised this hasn't cropped up before.

I think a replacement would be very handy if there's a time slot available, and sufficient interest from others.

Tony 

Edited by Tony T
Edit

I think they are meant to be there. I googled some images and they are obviously there on the real aircraft but probably not quite as thick (difficult to tell from pictures without holding the plastic). But they are definitely there on the real aircraft in the pictures I found.

neil

you made me dig further. Apparently it's a static discharger/lightning strip that grounds the canopy in the event of being hit by lightning. Discussed on several modelling forums as people had made the mistake of sanding them off but this is all based on a quick internet search and I'm far from being an expert in this aircraft or technology. 

54 minutes ago, npb748r said:

I think they are meant to be there. I googled some images and they are obviously there on the real aircraft but probably not quite as thick (difficult to tell from pictures without holding the plastic). But they are definitely there on the real aircraft in the pictures I found.

neil

45 minutes ago, npb748r said:

you made me dig further. Apparently it's a static discharger/lightning strip that grounds the canopy in the event of being hit by lightning. Discussed on several modelling forums as people had made the mistake of sanding them off but this is all based on a quick internet search and I'm far from being an expert in this aircraft or technology. 

Thanks Neil but those strips should be on the inside of the canopy hood, not the outside. The kit hood is badly wrong.

I would really appreciate a corrected canopy from Aerocraft @Ali62 if the demand is there.

Tony