Spitfire Mk IX

Vegard

After a few years of total modeling abscence, I'm slowly gearing up to re-enter the hobby. I have my sights set on converting Hasegawa's Spitfire V in 1/32nd to a Mk IX using a Warbirds conversion set. I have noticed a few of these conversions on the article pages on this site, and I was just wondering if there's anything I should be aware of in terms of fit, accuracy etc? Both regarding the kit itself and the conversion set.

I haven't decieded exactly which machine to build yet, but it will be from either 331(No) or 332(No) sqn, and most likely an -e.

brg

Vegard

Norway

Hi Vegard and welcome to LSP.Good bunch of blokes here as you'll find out soon enough.I have the MkIX about 75% complete and unfortunaly for me my MkIX nose was far too narrow which is most fefinitly NOT the case with their MkXV Seafire or MkXII Griffon noses.I'm pretty sure it was just mine since Vasko Barbic (designed them) is a stickler for detail and getting things correct with regards to the Spitfire.

Since the problem I had with the narrow nose led to a large gap at the wing root it was nothing that two-part epoxy couldn't fix and a little imagination.All in all it looks pretty good even after that battle.Get yourself a razor saw and go to town because you really can't go wrong with these conversion sets.I'm sure some of the guys will be adding their two cents once they wake up...cheers from Canada

hi Vegard and welcome home. I have grafted a couple of those noses but there are no major problems other than those mentioned by Dave. I suggest you start the build and then post pics as you go along and we shall thrash out any difficulties. i also suggest you first complet the cockpit and fit both halves of the fuselage together before cuttingoff the kit nose.

After a few years of total modeling abscence, I'm slowly gearing up to re-enter the hobby. I have my sights set on converting Hasegawa's Spitfire V in 1/32nd to a Mk IX using a Warbirds conversion set. I have noticed a few of these conversions on the article pages on this site, and I was just wondering if there's anything I should be aware of in terms of fit, accuracy etc? Both regarding the kit itself and the conversion set.

I haven't decieded exactly which machine to build yet, but it will be from either 331(No) or 332(No) sqn, and most likely an -e.

brg

Vegard

Norway

Hei Vegard!

Velkommen til LSP! Jeg haaper at du har det bra. Jeg er hettet Lee, og jeg er glad at jeg kan praktiser noe norsk. jeg hadd bod i Norge i mange aars siden, men jeg har glemt flest som jeg har leart.

Ha Det!

Lee

Dave makes a good point about the size difference between the resin nose and kit fuselage...I have the same issues with mine. As I haven't reached the stage of attaching mine yet, I haven't given any thought as to how best to tackle it, so I shall see how others fair with this little problem. Welcome to LSP, and good luck with your build Vegard, I'm sure that it shall be much quicker than mine (see 'In works').

Best regards

Derek

Derek-I have the MkXII nose and it's perfect same with the MkXV Seafire but for some reason the MkIX nose was way too thin.I didn't notice this until after I had buttoned up the fuselage and cut off the kit nose.What I did was simply run my dremel along the joint of the fuselage CAREFULLY and then joined the fuselage back together.This after having to extract the photo etch instrument panel from the cockpit and take the dremel to it sanding the circumfrence down in order for everything to fit once more.This also left about 1/8 of an inch gap on either side of the wing root which was filled with two-part epoxy.That was a tough job with a hell of a lot of test fitting.Once I figure out how to post pics on here I'll do so.Luck for me I now have the old nose from that first Vb kit to test all new noses coming from Warbird Productions.The MkXII nose is spot on as is the MkXV...cheers

Thanks Dave...It seems that the Warbirds Mk.IX nose may have a common undersize problem. I have also got the Warbirds Griffon Mk.XIX nose, and as for your Mk.XII and XV noses, it fits the kit fuselage contours perfectly.

Cheers

Derek

Ok, the undersized nose is a bit of a worry. As it haven't arrived in the mail yet, I'll just have to wait and see how to solve that problem. But thanks for all the tips re. that nosejob! Due to a hectic schedule at work these days (living in a suitcase 5 days a week), nothing much will be done for a couple of weeks.

But I have at last (more or less) decieded on which a/c to do:

MA568heglund.jpg

sveinheglund.jpg

Highest scoring Norwegian ace during WWII, he is officially credited with 14,33 claims. (NOT 16 as the profile text would have you belive..)

brg

Vegard (that Norwegian guy)

PS: Takk for det Lee! Hvor i Norge bodde du? Hilsen Vegard

Hi Guys,

In general discussion with Vasko (Warbirds Productions), the subject of the apparently undersized Mk.IX/XVI resin nose conversion was raised. Vasko now suspects that there may be a problem with regards to the overall fit of this particular part to the kit. He therefore intends to introduce a new replacement nose in the near future to remedy the reported fit problem. As all of his other nose conversions appear to fit with no reported problems, it would seem likely that the Mk.IX/XVI nose is the only item that may be affected.

Regards

Derek

I suspected something along those Lines Derek.Vasko's a good man and I'm sure he'll put a fix to it.I just wished It had been done before I had this battle with my MkIX nose.It was a nightmare to get it done right and and the fit was horrible to be honest.It looks allright now but next time...cheers