Revell / ICM 1/35 Fordson WOT6

Panzerwomble

Greetings

Following on from the Air Superiority Group build , I thought I’d take a break from the norm and do some other models from the stash that I bought as “that might be interesting to make“.

First one is Revell’s re-release of ICM’s British Fordson WOT6.

A general purpose 4x4 3 Ton truck, 30,000 were made but there are not many on the UK Mil Vehicle scene. I guess a lot got scrapped post war or donated to foreign govs in the 1950’s and expired in the 1960’s. There was a WOT8 as well, but that is much rarer.

The kit is not bad, plenty of detail but some errors, mainly with their sourcing. WW2 Brit trucks often only had one shielded headlight on the front LHS , the kit shows two more post war / restoration style . There is a stamped bridging plate, not entirely sure when this system came in but again suspect post 1945, white painted diffs , again post war, and best of all civvy plates , which is fine if you want to depict someone’s restoration .

That all said it’s a nice little model, fine detail, a nice V8 engine, little clean up mostly, and some PE. There are additional PE sets………… but then that why I buy brass sheet instead.

Some Pix

Poshed up for 1945 Victory Parade

mmi6-jpg-4178ce45d08cebc50856fb401a2205e

Restored one in (Belgum maybe ?) , note marker lights, twin headlights and suspect bridging plate.

Model-W-O-T-6-WWII-British-Truck-ICM-8.j

And the fate of many, this was pulled from a Yorkshire scrapyard after being sat for many years

unnamed-1.jpg

Sorry already launched the box in the bin .....

E81-AE9-F2-4-E48-4-BC3-AC46-A9-D7970-D04

Edited by Panzerwomble

I’m not planning a huge build log, just some pics for interest

First Up -build a chassis , as it separate beams and cross members I’ve nominally jigged it to keep square , as the problem with a lot of these trucks is if you get some of this at an angle , it is very hard to rectify later when the vehicle is leaning ( don’t ask how I know )

5-A59727-C-4-C6-B-4955-8-CA1-A6-C715-BFC

Maybe should have taken more pics, however this is where it ended up, engine in, chassis done, sits properly.  Can’t decide if it is worth doing more to the engine, as I would have to either work out if the cab can come off to see it, or open up from small internal hatches.

07-E771-E9-9-D9-E-4-DE8-9382-F0459-C9268

AC8-BB15-F-170-C-4-B54-B79-D-E204-E7-A61

Whilst waiting for the chassis, I built up the back tub. You can tell Fordson were agricultural in origin, this looks more like it belongs on a rail track.

Given it prime , then  a coat in buff …… then  some oil paint wood graining , and finally covered in it matt varnish . This will give me a good base to weather through the top coat, to the wood and steel underneath. It looks a bit rough now , but will only be showing throuhg in patches , plus there is mud , rust , etc etc  :D

Next up …Cab.…

7-AAEC7-B4-BD01-43-DC-A78-F-7655547-A1-E

D663136-B-FBD0-4-A7-C-92-DE-0-E070466-C6

Edited by Panzerwomble

More progress. Building up the cab and hiding all that engine detail . Fit here was a little tricky as the mudguard part had some bad warpage. Warpage has been noted on other builder’s logs as well, in that case the doors. It’s all fixable, but also avoidable. Revell take note

The plastic is best described as soft and malleable, which brings with it it’s owns pro’s and cons .

The angled fit on the cab sides was well done , so it’s not all bad news

Some further research on bridging plates reveals that they were a factory option from 1943 onwards for overseas vehicles ( although plenty of pics of them in the UK as well of course ), bit not universally accepted until after the war. The methodology of assessing their weight changed a bit over the war as well.

So some pics of it’s own little cockpit ...

IMG-2785.jpg

IMG-2788.jpg

IMG-2793.jpg

IMG-2792.jpg

IMG-2795.jpg

So we are heading the home straight now. Complete the cab, final paint ( probably going for “mickey mouse ears” cammo as it is more interesting than just Olive Drab IMHO ) , the odd decal and some weathering .

Cheers

Edited by Panzerwomble
sort pic links

And another one done. I enjoyed building this one. Mostly out of box with some amends. Replaced the “nose peak” with brass, the windows with styrene sheet more of a scale thickness, added a few bits and bobs. Happy with the worn out and oil stained deck, the general beaten up appearance of truck in constant use from D-Day ( 50th ID landed at Gold went on through France , Belgium, Netherlands before being stood down in December 44) .

Revell’s paint plan is obviously based on post war restorations ( red painted wheel nuts et all ) , which are at odds with wartime pics, so ignored most of it, and gone with what I can see from period pics / what I know from restoring real MVs .

I’ll be back with the next one, not sure if it will be the aged Zvezda White Scout Car (of Peerless max moulds), or IBG’s very nice Scammel Pioneer

Cheers

Guy

@MARU5137 I lived in and around Leeds for about 20 years  :D , moved back South about 12 years ago , 

DSCF7218.jpg

DSCF7220.jpg

DSCF7223.jpg

DSCF7222.jpg

DSCF7228.jpg

DSCF7220.jpg

DSCF7231.jpg

DSCF7233.jpg

DSCF7240.jpg

DSCF7242.jpg

DSCF7246.jpg

DSCF7245.jpg