F-21A 'Kfir' Conversion

Shogun

On 11/10/2021 at 9:15 AM, bdthoresen said:

Hey Cal- went a rummaging through my notes and paint stocks to find what I had stockpiled for the F-21, here is what I had. The Furball Aero sheet (generally these people’s research has been impeccable!) had the colors for your scheme listed as the following-

FS 36307 Light Sea Gray

FS 35237 Medium Gray

FS 36251 Agressor Gray

Looking at my Model Master chip chart, they did not look like the colors in your photos. I had notes that these colors in the Model Master line were not quite right. So I pulled them and took a photo of them in natural light, and sunlight-

51669021182_8beb5242d7_b.jpg

51669832801_4ff602023f_b.jpg

Not enough contrast in either situation. The darker gray has no violet tinge to it, and the blue is far too washed out to be the base color.

I had noted the light grey, Model Master FS 36307 Light Sea Gray was almost perfect. I also noted that I wanted to use Model Master RLM 75 Grauviolett and Model Master Navy Blue Gray as substitutes. So I went a rummaging, and found them. Here are comparison shots in the same lighting conditions-

51670058728_98561a4ff9_b.jpg 51669836181_fb1fa8afea_b.jpg

My plan was to lighten everything a bit during post shading to get that weathered effect you see in most photos of the USN/USMC Kfirs. But as base colors these were the closest I could find. So, in summary-

FS 36307- use MM Light Sea Gray

FS 35237- use MM Navy Blue Gray

FS 36251- use MM RLM 75 Grauviolett

Again, I would use them as base colors, then post shade, or perhaps mix the darker colors with a bit of white of post-shading is not your thing…..

Hope this helps……and now I want to build a Kfir again………crap…..

Thor    :ph34r:

Hi Thor, Thank you, Thank you very much!  So what's wrong with building a F-21? :huh: Oh yea, this!

All reference material that I've seen says,  FS36307, FS35237,  and FS36251 too.

Let me compare notes... FS36251 is the difficult one. I was using RLM75 but I used too much. That would be my #2 grey. FS35237 would be the #3 grey.

Once again, thank you!!  

I wonder if model paint can change it's color after sitting around for 30 years!

Hey Thor,

I'm Glad you have RLM75 for FS36251, that's all the confirmation we needed.

Thank you again!

Looking through the FS fan deck, this is as close as I could find for #2 grey on Double 0.  That would be the FS36251.

3F3qlv.jpg

Starting with a color chip to match really helps me.

These are under the skylight. (Not much light available at this time)

QrcBKi.jpg

SB6LCk.jpg

7C5PfX.jpg