Possible WW 2 British flag? Anyone know about Brit flags?

AlbertD

I have an old looking British flag that a friend who knows of my interest in military history gave to me. He was stationed in Germany in the 1970s serving in the US Army. He traded cigarettes and adult beverages that he bought at the PX for all kinds of old military collectables. He said the flag was from a WW 2 British patrol boat and I have no reason to doubt that but would like to at least pin down an era or something about it. It's a big cotton flag that I don't see any printed identification on. What should I look for on it to help ID it? I will be happy to try to take decent pictures.

21 minutes ago, MARU5137 said:

is it a flag with skull and daggers and lines?

:whistle:

can you post a photo of it here(as best as you can).

I will take some pictures later tonight but it looks like the modern British national flag. I'll just need to figure out a way to temporarily hang it without doing any damage.

1 hour ago, Jennings Heilig said:

That's the British naval ensign.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_ensign

1 hour ago, MARU5137 said:

Jennings. I agree.  I was going to say the same as you.

Thats is White Squadron Ensign 1801-1864
The only Royal Navy Ensign after 1864.

Albert, you can read more about it here.

scroll down and you will see the flag etc..

Historical Flags of Our Ancestors - British Flags http://www.loeser.us/flags/english.html

:thumbsup:

Thank you gentleman. It sure looks like it has the age to date to WW2 and I have no reason to belive it doesn't. I think he said he got it for 2 cartons of Lucky Strike cigarettes which cost him a total of $2.00. He gave it to me after I built him a 1/350 HMS Dreadnought. I only wish I had a wall in my hobby room big enough to display it on. I feel honored to have it and they he thought enough of me to gift it to me.