UH-1B Instrument panel

I'm planning a build of a UH-1B and have found several photos of cockpits that show BOTH grey and black instrument panels.

My build is of a Vietnam War era UH-1B - which would be correct? I presume black, or could it be either? I would really like some confirmation please if possible.

TIA

PR

As noted, black was only introduced in the early 80's when they mod'd the cockpit for NVG's.   Honestly not sure if any B's ever went through this mod or if they were out of service by then (guessing the latter).  

On a side note, if you can wait, Kittyhawk is releasing a new 35th UH-1B at some point in the near future (supposedly) but my guess is that it will still be covered with all those recessed divots.  

7 hours ago, John1 said:

As noted, black was only introduced in the early 80's when they mod'd the cockpit for NVG's.   Honestly not sure if any B's ever went through this mod or if they were out of service by then (guessing the latter).  

On a side note, if you can wait, Kittyhawk is releasing a new 35th UH-1B at some point in the near future (supposedly) but my guess is that it will still be covered with all those recessed divots.  

Thanks John. Yes, I am keeping an eye on the Kittyhawk possibility. I have a 1/24 build planned with decals for an RAAF Long Tan Huey but an up-to-date kit is tempting. Recessed divots would be a problem - more work filling etc, but the prospect of some decent detail sets may off set that. Let's see. As they say, 'a bird in the hand.....'

I had 250 hours in the Uh-1H during flight school and another 400 or 500 hours in the AH-1 and OH-58’s and seriously I can’t recall what color the instrument panels were.  I’m leaning on grey in the late 80’s and well into the 90’s but I can’t recall this color detail whatsoever.   

Go Army aviation.  

1 hour ago, Troy Molitor said:

I had 250 hours in the Uh-1H during flight school and another 400 or 500 hours in the AH-1 and OH-58’s and seriously I can’t recall what color the instrument panels were.  I’m leaning on grey in the late 80’s and well into the 90’s but I can’t recall this color detail whatsoever.   

Go Army aviation.  

I’ve got a bunch of hours in Hueys (as cargo in the back) in the same time frame.   All the cockpits I saw were NVG black.   Some of the cargo compartments were black, some grey.   Good memories.  The Blackhawk was a fun ride (except when they were crashing frequently when first put into service) but nothing beat sitting in the door of a Huey doing NOE flying on a nice day.