1/32 Special Hobby P-36

ChrisS

Bill may not be able to help much as his build is of the Cutting Edge AM set for the Trumpeter P40B. The build I posted as a reference in my first post in my build makes mention that he recommends putting the wings on before the cowl due to fit problems. He actually had the cowl on and removed it to get the wings on. He wasn't real specific about what the problems were, but the way it's engineered it looks like it doesn't matter which goes first, absent the fit problems, that is.

I'm going to tackle the fuse this weekend. I've put a couple strips of plastic card in to help in alignment and plan to tape the forward area and work from the tail forward.

That will help you ID any fit problems up front. I think I ran into some ammount of warping on my fuse parts. But I'll be interested to see how your fuse goes too.

I just glued the cowling together with the engine in place. It is aprearing that this build is going to take more filling and sanding than I'm currently in the mood for :)

...but what's new eh?

I'll post more pics this weekend.

I just got finished taping and clamping the fuse with the bulkheads in place and tooks pics in the process. I'll post them tomorrow morning won my build. It looks right now that I've got to do some serious work on the bulheads, particularly the forward one. This may explain the fit problmes the fella in the first build noted at the fuse/wing joint. Before I slap on any glue, I'm going to look seriously at putting the two halves together and then inserting the bulkheads after sanding to fit. Did you do your's that way? Everything looks like it can go in from the top or bottom.

I see you used the kit seat. It looks like the one in the AF Musem ship, but thre's been some modifications made to the pit. that lead me to have questions. have an old Eduard set for the Revell P40E, and I just KNOW that Trumpeter will redeem themselves with the one they are coming out with next year, so I won't need i, so am toying with the idea of using that seat. Do you have any other pics or reference that shows the P36 seat was not the same as the P40?

Sarge,

I hate to disapoint but I'm using your referances as my sole stash of intel on this build. I have not done much research at all and used the kit seat because it was "there."

Looking forward to your pics. I should have used that method!!

Sarge, Chris,

Looks like the Azur P-36 has it's own set of problems. As you saw in my build the Cutting Edge conversion had a real gap/alignment mess with wings and fusuelage as well. I remember going through the seat question when I was researching the build and there seem to be two types, the one like Chris used can be seen in the AF Museum and one more like the P-40 as you can see here. I liked the Cutting Edge seat since it's very thin and seems to accurate for a French Hawk.

http://users.telenet.be/Aircraftwalkaround...Cockpit-14.html

Both your builds are looking great. Getting close to paint. I think I finally slolved the cowl/engine/fusuelage fit so i'll post some pics soon.

Bill;

This confirms my suspiscions about the seat. The AF Museum ship has the fuel filler port moved to inside the cockpit and there are a couple of modifications and omissions in it as well. I'm willing to be that a "new" seat was put in by a post-war civilian owner at the same time the fuel port was done. I would wager that it was a seat not fit out to allow a parachute to fit inside.

Looks like I'l be going with the Eduard seat. I'd use the CE seat out of the P40, but I like the seatbelts provided with the SH kit more than I do the "posable" ones provided with the CE seat that I've already installed on it.

• 2 months later...

As if from the dead...progress.

Given the sheer forces applied to the fuselage to get it together, I had a feeling that mating the wings would prove "fun." I wish I had the Sarge's brain for engineering, I feel like I coupld have saved myself some time, elbow grease, and a decent supply of gap filler!

Here is the wing mate under the nose. The dark gap there is filled with superglue. Shaping and sanding are the orders for the day.

post-4-1144261595_thumb.jpg

Another of the chin.

Nice lines on this plane. I've lost a bit of surface detail with the shaping here, but that will all return once the sanding is about 80% there and I can re-scribe prior to surface prep for paint.

post-4-1144261757_thumb.jpg

I did not take a great picture here, but here you can see how much reshape is needed on the bottom of the trailing edge. Lots of detail lost.

I firmly believe that all the alignment errors could have been avoided if I had been paying closer attention during core assembly (specifically mating the fuselage sides). For those of you that have this kit in the stash, it should not give you this much trouble. Ask the Sarge!

I'll post more as I prep her for NMF in the coming week.

post-4-1144261918_thumb.jpg

And here's the worst that I'm left with at the wing root.

Since this defines the line between the black no-skid ramp and the wing root, I'll probably leave it as it won't be very evident. But we shall see eh?

post-4-1144262479_thumb.jpg

I would pump some Mr sfrc'er 500 in there and then rub it down after 10 minutes with a Q-tip in Isopropanol Alchohol.... ;) This build is looking goood though! I like it.... very classic lines!

Almost like a little brother to the P-47 with that cowl ' :lol: eh Chris!!!

Cheers

Alan

Wow Chris! This is looking fantastic! Too bad about those fit issues, but you're making out well with the assembly... I can't wait to see your paint scheme, I really enjoy those early schemes... Thanks for sharing;

Jimbo