TinkerBell X-1

PietvWdV

Actually the Chuck-it-out brigade went into the theatre under the official neme of GumVal. But sources close to the action can tell you even today, that all was not pink with the Gum sight. Basically the problem was with the microscopic bubbles in the gum sight. When the aeroplane climbed the bubbles expanded and thus rendering the pilot unfit for flying let alone for action. A problem like this was previously encountered with condoms in the pilot survival kit.

The chuck it out brigade also tested the most important aeronautical scientific discovery of the fifties. Namely if you put a trycicle gear on the airplane anyone who had ever riden a bycicle, or even attempted to do so unsucsefully can taxi such an airplane without any problems.

This fact and the lack of torque on the jet eliminated the need for rudder pedals and brake mechanism. The feet of the pilot were therefore suspended in rubber bands (Yes, Dent - they were attached to the instrument panel).

This also meant that the Pilot operating handbook had to be changed a bit. For example after landing sequence was changed from:

''after touchdown maintain the nose elevated by graudually increasing stick back-pressure untill the nose gear touches. Retract the flaps and apply pulsive braking untill aircraft reaches taxi speed.''

to:

''after touchdown maintain the nose elevated by graudually increasing stick back-pressure untill the nose gear touches. Then unstrap yourself with the quick release harness, actutate the canopy release handle, stand up in the rubber straps and yell Whoa on the top of your lungs repeatedly untill the aircraft reaches taxi speed.''

The performance section also had to revised. Namely the landing distance required was changed from 2600ft to about 92 000ft on PSP planking. This later fact motivated some conspiracy theory that the whole project was induced by US steel.

There are contemporary reports from South Korea that the 95 000ft PSP runway is now owned by a chain of world wide German food restourants. The whole thing was electrified and is used as a giant BBQ for sauerkraut und knackworst.

The MiG Alley 200 miles sign was replaced by the Wait here to be seated sign.

Usually there is not a long waiting cue.

The low landing gear was introduced in an effort to sucker more people with vertigo into the air-force. It was also useful when hiding the X-1 in small hangars, caves and filing cabinets. The rear wheels have grooves in and I’ll bet my sister’s virginity that jerk Bernie Ecklestone had something to do with that. As there are no vinyl aftermarket wheels for this kit, I reluctantly used the wheels it came with. The landing gear is very sturdy , and I am sure this could have been a killer drag racer. But the concept of driving wingless jets was only perfected by the English decades later, although the Americans dabbled with it briefly, resulting in the F104 assault vehicle.

post-4-1133566041.jpg

I eventually decided to do a test bird with the decals provided. This was bad because the decals are thick and ugly and difficult to work with, just like Dubya. And also the plane is orange. This was so that the wreckage could be more easily located.

I saw on the decalsheet they were printed in 2002, so I could not understand why they were so bad, untill I saw thet it was not made by Revell Europe, but by Revell-Morongram.

I made some custom decals myself for some stencils. A good experiment, often successfull. The rescribing came off ok. At least better than my first attempt, which was a complete flop.

I am now finished washing it and will apply more future in the future. The insides of the bang door is scratched, more of that later.

I am now looking for a mangled soviet tank for the diorama.

post-4-1133566657.jpg

I’ll bet my sister’s virginity that jerk Bernie Ecklestone had something to do with that

Bwahahahahahaha!!!!!!

Thank the gods everyone else has gone home. I might have lost my job from all the racket I was making...

Dude! You could put Dave Barry out of work. With luck, Bernie Ecclestone, too.

just like North Korea was founded on the principles of peace, tolerance and freedom.

I'm having flashbacks to a Cartman voice over of Kim Il Jong in Team America World Police... :D :lol: B)

But boy-o-boy...can they march...best I've ever seen do drill. Incredible.

Nice build Piet...chuckling routinely at the texty bits. Oh yes...I got the 262 tail heavy picturegram... :P

Cheers Matt

Thanks for all those who bothered to look in on this thread and especially to those who replied . Your encouragement made this kit twice as fun to build :)

Sometime this morning I suddenly realised there was nothing left to do, so I suppose she is done! :lol:

The glass was an odd fit, but you will be able to glue it in place. I chose to leave it loose so I can peek at the pit from time to time.

Eventually I chose the test scheme of orange (interesting experiments!), but still retaining full combat capability. This kit is straight out the box except for wirework in the cockpit and wheels, a new broomstick, new bangdoor interior and seatbelts. I also added some homecooked stencels. They are mostly too small to read so I had fun writing all kinds of crap on them. One in the cockppit reads "press here to screw the pooch" and one over the fuel cap reads "test temp on palm first" :lol:

post-4-1133697891.jpg

As you can observe, the thick armored instrument panel is raised to provide additional protection for the pilots. This was introduced after the Tupolevs started doing head on attacks on the formations of daylight X-1’s.

post-4-1133698024.jpg