Operation Pocket Money A-7E & A-6A

8 hours ago, Finn said:

From a modelling point, to make a Mk-36 Destructor use a Mk-82 Snakeye (most commonly used) add a black disc between the nose fuze and bomb body, paint a white band around the body of the bomb and 4 white stripes near the tail:

271.jpg

here is a USS Coral Sea site:

https://www.usscoralsea.net/pics1970s2.php

you may find a Bunumber among the pics there.

Jari

More great intel Jari, thanks! Fred K.

On 4/19/2019 at 11:12 AM, Finn said:

Fred, you'll have to do a little searching but you should find the BuNo's you are looking for here:

http://www.forgottenjets.warbirdsresourcegroup.org/A-7.html

Jari

For anyone else interested in this operation, I was able to cross reference two OPM A-7E's, and possibly a third. 

BuNo 157444 VA-94 NL 403 1972 from photo in mining brief

BuNo 158675 VA-94 NL 404 19?? from photo in mining brief, but unable to positively confirm because of no time frame given, but should be '71/'72

BuNo 156820 VA-22 NL 304 19?? from photo sourced on the internet, but listed as an OPM jet, and shown w/Mk.52 mines.

HTH, Fred K.

• 10 months later...

It seems Pocket Money was not the first use of the MK-52  mines in combat as in Feb of 1967 A-6As of VA-35 on the Enterprise used them, and Mk-50 mines to mine a couple of rivers in NVM:

https://www.prisoner-of-war.com/command history va35 1967.pdf

also of note, on pg 17 of the file is a listing of various types of ordnance expended, including Bullpups, during that deployment.

Jari

On 4/16/2019 at 11:28 AM, Finn said:

x.jpg

Jari

BTW, where did you find this pic? I'm about 99% certain that the guy leaning on the Mines is my coworkers father who was Gunner for the Sluggers during Linebacker. Would love to be able to show him where to search.

Thanks,

Peter

A month after Intruders from the Enterprise did some mining, the Kitty Hawk got into the action as well:

3-5 Mar 1967: Approaching their drop zones at night in "heavy weather" and at low altitude, Intruders, VA-85, laid three fields of Mk 50/52 mines in the Ma, Kien, and Cua Sot Rivers. On the 5th, a Douglas A-3B Skywarrior flew a mining mission to the Song Ma River, North Vietnam, the first such use of Skywarriors from the carrier.

8 Mar 1967: Holly Green 5, an A-3B (BuNo 144627), LCDR Carroll O. Crain, Jr., LT(JG) George F. Pawlish, ATN2 Ronald E. Galvin, VAH-4 Det C, went down at sea en route to a mining mission over the Kien Qiang River, North Vietnam, 17°48'N, 106°38'E. Though due to "unknown causes," Holly Green 5's loss is considered combat-related, in all probability due to enemy ground fire.

Although the Mk-50/52 were used, the most common mine was the Mk-36 Destructor, as they were useful not just for waterways but for mining roads and other land targets as well. Here is a A-6 with some:

Over_Vietnam.jpg

even the A-4 did some mine ops:

y.jpg

Jari

• 4 months later...