References for the He 162

What Alan said, and on cockpits, if you dont yet have the IL2 forgotten battles PC game, you are missing out BIG TIME. Unlike the other flight sims, who's cockpits are basically a thumb suck, IL 2's interiors are flippin meticulous. I even used their 190 cockpit as reference when I first started documenting the 190 A-6 cockpit in Jo'Burg. I also contributed some materials to the developers of this game in Russia.

The 162 cockpit in this game is particularily good.

Dear Brianperris,

Great choice, the Revell Heinkel 162, but watch out for the incorrect shape of the Main Landing Gear doors;

see my article here at LSP ("Air Min 61").

The shape of the nose is also a bit awkward; I can't get a finger on what's wrong exactly, but I think it's a bit too wide and the curves are a bit different than on the original aircraft...

Further reading info: "Luftwaffe Colours Volume Five Section 4" of the "Jagdwaffe series" published by Classic Publications has some photographs of the He 162 that are very interesting...

Happy modelling!

Piet Bouma

Brian,

If you want books instead of internet links, I've found that the Aero Detail #10 and the Peregrine Publishing book on the He-162 are perfect compliments to each other. The Aero book has tons of exterior detail photos, while the Peregrine book is mostly cockpit photos.

Cheers!

Ben