Tamiya spray bombs over airbrushed Tamiya acrylic?

ScottsGT

Am I looking for trouble?  Put down 3 coats of acrylic silver on one of my Revell P-51's.  I'm not happy with the finish, and saw another P-51 painted using silver lacquer decanted and airbrushed.  I have a can of this and want to go over the acrylic.  Should I scuff it up first with some 600-800 paper?  Shoot straight on top?  Found a few spots that need more filler anyway.

Im not 100% sure on putting rattle can Tamiya acrylic lacquer over Tamiya acrylic, but I know for SURE dont put it over enamel!  I used some MM black enamel on the base for my Extra 330, and let it dry for about a week.   After curing I sprayed some Tamiya acrylic lacquer clear over the whole thing, and just about instantly the enamel started to crackle, expand and wrinkle. 

I doubt you would have any problems over straight acrylic, but I would do the WHOLE process on a paint mule before spraying on anything I cared about. 

• 2 weeks later...

FWIW, I pulled it off last night.  Went over he acrylic with zero issues.  My acrylic was a gloss bright aluminum.  It was as flat and dull as could be.

I decanted my TS-17 into a 1 oz cup.  Stuff was boiling and bubbling for a few minutes afterwards.  Poured into my airbrush cup, same thing.  Almost "boiled" out of the top of the cup.  Airbrush was spitting and sputtering with the paint unsettled.

Once things settled down, put on a few heavy coats, looked great.  Also used it straight from the can.  Looked just as good.  It has dried with a low gloss to it, unlike the flat and rough surface the acrylic provided.

On 8/30/2018 at 2:11 PM, ScottsGT said:

FWIW, I pulled it off last night.  Went over he acrylic with zero issues.  My acrylic was a gloss bright aluminum.  It was as flat and dull as could be.

I decanted my TS-17 into a 1 oz cup.  Stuff was boiling and bubbling for a few minutes afterwards.  Poured into my airbrush cup, same thing.  Almost "boiled" out of the top of the cup.  Airbrush was spitting and sputtering with the paint unsettled.

Once things settled down, put on a few heavy coats, looked great.  Also used it straight from the can.  Looked just as good.  It has dried with a low gloss to it, unlike the flat and rough surface the acrylic provided.

I just saw this now; you did just what I was going to suggest.

Decant the Tamiya spray paint and don't worry about it going over the acrylics.  

As long as acrylics are dried well, lacquer should NOT bother them.

The only clear coat I use now is lacquer, but most of my painting is done with acrylics.

As long as I wait an hour or 2 prior to spraying the lacquer clear coat, I have no problems at all.

I've been doing this for a few years now after many years of using acrylic clear coats.

Once you switch to lacquer, you'll never go back.

I either go with Tamiya TS 13 decanted out of the spray can, or Mr. Color clear in the bottles.

I LOVE the Mr. Color "Super clear III" in the taller than normal bottle, but that stuff is hard to come by in the USA.