AN/ASQ-228 ATFLIR (F/A-18E/F/G Super Hornet)

Luca

hi guys, Trumpeter instruction sheet calls it "AAQ-25" that is wrong.....anyone who built the Rhino can tell me if that pod is correctly shaped/sized? (unfortunately Trumpeter is not phenomenal in warloads)

I know Wolfpack makes it but only in 1/48 scale. Thanks for any help.

wp48041-1_large.jpeg?v=1444245154

Which do the parts more closely resemble: the AAQ-25 LANTIRN pod or ASQ-228 ATFLIR ? I only have the F-14D kit, which would use the former pod. Maybe Trumpy designed some sprues for common use in the Tomcat and Super Hornet kitsets.

I can't remember what the Revell F/A-18E sprues will include but you may do well to wait for that kit.

Tony

The Trumpeter one is an incorrect LANTIRN pod. I have replaced mine with an ATFLIR pod from the Academy Legacy Hornet kit.

Is that the Red Devils C ? I have the earlier Chippy Ho edition which doesn't have this pod & fairing. Interesting the way Academy or Kinetic keep adding things!

Still waiting for a good look at the new Revell E, and F.

Tony

which kit? 1st edition or Chippy Ho?

What Starfighter means is he replaced the inaccurate LANTIRN pod in the Trumpeter E/F Super Hornet with an ATFLIR pod from the later Academy "legacy" Hornet A+/C boxing.

Tony

What Starfighter means is he replaced the inaccurate LANTIRN pod in the Trumpeter E/F Super Hornet with an ATFLIR pod from the later Academy "legacy" Hornet A+/C boxing.

ok thanks Tony, so which legacy hornet box do I have to search for to get the ATFLIR pod?

p.s. is the adapter the same between legacy and super hornet?

Edited by Luca

That's what I was trying to ascertain: it's not in the Golden Dragons or Chippy Ho boxings. Prolly in the later boxings which offered plastic as well as vinyl tyres.

Tony

Edited by Tony T

That's what I was trying to ascertain: it's not in the Golden Dragons or Chippy Ho boxings. Prolly in the later boxings which offered plastic as well as vinyl tyres..

I thought there were only those two boxes out there (Golden Dragons  and Chippy Ho)... hoping Starfighter will help us to clarify our doubts.

ERRATUM...

Hi Luca, I think the pod may be in ALL of the Academy legacy Hornet boxings.

(Mine's missing from the Chippy Ho box - may have given that sprue away ten years ago when I got the Avionix A backdate set to make a Blue Angel.)

But I still think the Revell offering might be more up to date.

Tony

Are you guys sure that the ATFLIR is in the legacy Hornet kit? It does have the old AAS-38 Nitehawk FLIR, which is something different.

Are they not externally very similar, apart from the FLIR built into the conformal part of the ensemble?

Unfortunately I seem to have given away the pods sprue from my kit so can't scrutinise the subtleties.

Tony

This is all I've seen of the Revell E/F/G sprues, courtesy of BM...

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234994600-132-boeing-fa-18ef-super-hornet-ea-18g-growler-by-revell-sprues-release-late-2017/&page=2

...and there doesn't appear to be an ATFLIR there, either, but let's see what Revell do. The airframe seems to offer more options than the Trumpy Super Hornet.

Tony