Revell F4U1

bcauchi

Brian I just am amazed at what you are doing here, it really does make me want to do more and more to my own project. The details of the latches on the gun doors is spot on, wish I could work with sheet metal maybe I'll give it a try sometime what thickness are you working with? Besides the beer can!

Thanks Murph...

Murph, don;t give up. yours is coming along really nice and I post many pics on my build so you can really try to duplicate it all. Where you get stuck just drop a line or just plain ask and I shall try to sort it out for you. So you can go as far as you wish. It is a nice plane to detail.

At this point I realised that the centre panels are completely wrong so I modified the openings on the underside of the model and cut new centre pieces. As usual, nothing comes right first time. Its the trend I've got used to on this particular build. Nearly everything was done twice or three times.

post-4-1143184165_thumb.jpg

hi Jamie, everything has to go off. they are only temporarily fixed in place to show you guys what the part is and where it goes. everything will be painted separately and then fixed at the end. Still a very long way to go.

hi brian! very nice, as always. what do you use to cut the aluminium? knife? scissors? i have read that a paper cutting machine can be very usefull. i dont own one but i am thinking of buying one if i can find a cheap good one some day.

for can aluminium i usually scratch a line into the aluminium with a knife. then i bend it two times and the piece i want comes off. maybe you found a better solutuion.

cheers klaus

hi Klaus, I use normal scissors to cut the beer cans but the rear end of a modeling blade for the thicker stuff. It is more like deep scribing than cutting. As you say a couple of twists will do the job once you have scored the surface with the blade. When you cut with scissors, the metal curls up. This is easily made flat again by rolling a cylinder over it like a round blade handle for example.