Does anyone produce a dorsal fin fillet for the 1/32nd -51????

swede

Ron, could you when you get a  chance, send me the kit number, part number and fret alpha designator on the fillet part? Maybe I can use it as a starting point. If not, its off to the attempt with the plasti sheets. Gives me the willies thinking about that.......

I am still trying to find better pics of the fillet. There are a number of profile shots, good for height and length but not for the width, from the vertical tail to the tip

OK, heres one......in the enclosed site, Jackie Cochrans/ Jimmy Stewart's #90 Thunderbird photos. This was raced in 1949. Does that fillet look more like the late Inglewood modification?                                             http://www.thisdayinaviation.com/jackie-cochrans-north-american-aviation-inc-p-51c-mustang-racer-n5528n/

I will assume that the fillet on the -C model (F-6C) is the swayback or can I use the -D model fillet to construct it? I suck with thin plasticard ........

F-6C = P-51B/C, so yes, you assume right.

Both are curved at the juncture with the leading edge of the vertical. On the -D's and the -K's it comes straight back and the straight up the Vertical. Not sure how to post photo on here but even a quick glance you can see the difference.

That shows what I was saying.....the -51 BNA is curved and the F-6D has more hard lines........for lack of a better description.....Again though, the A/C I am working with looks like it has the early Inglewood fillet to me. I was after any other thoughts on this as the shape it totally different!

Just out of aeronautical interest, why was it curved on the B's en C's and not straight edged like on the others, i mean construction wise it would have been easier to do the straight edge overall, wouldn't it??

Edited by Jack

I was wondering the same thing....but in the interest of figuring out the proper fillet and how to create it I wasn't going to open that can of works ........:) :frantic:

The dorsal fin that was installed in the field (depots/ base engineering sections) for the B/C's were P/N 104-25001 (Tech Order 01-60JD-43), these were also fitted to the last C models on the production line (per production print). D's (and K's) Inglewood and Dallas production received P/N 109-25001 dorsal fin (the 'straight dorsal fin).

The 104-25001 dorsal fin is the one with the curve in it. In discussions with others who have researched this as to the curvature this was not intended but an initial manufacturing occurrence as the print for the part does not show the curvature or include any design data allowance for it. Someone finally figured out how to remove the curvature without damaging the piece, the dorsal fin has compound shapes and aluminum can be tricky even when using 'O' (soft) material.

The dorsal fins (along with a reverse rudder boost tab) were installed to prevent overloading of the horizontal surfaces when the aircraft assumed high angles of yaw during certain maneuvers.

Edited by Craig361