Hobby Boss F-84G

Tony T

Just pulled my kit and goodies out today. I noticed in the Eduard instructions for the cockpit that it significantly changes the layout of several items, to what they call the "correct location". Never noticed that before.

I think with both Eduard sets, some Fisher wheels, an AMS resin ejection seat, and custom decals, I'll be all set.

- Dennis S.

Thornton, CO USA

18 hours ago, LSP_K2 said:

Ah yes, but where oh where to get the Fisher wheels.

Perhaps someone could make resin copies for you? I can't speak to the legality of doing that, but it's a thought I've had and is why I haven't built any of the Fisher stuff i have; I'm holding out for someone to copy them. 

• 3 weeks later...

Since this topic has re-opened and I have the F-84E kit underway, I thought I might chime in.

PLUS.. I need to get a few posts in to get out of 'moderator approved' status, and hope replies count!

I have both kits, so have swapped the airbrake to get the correct one for both.

Those pesky rivets in the canopy reinforcing tape need to be filled and sanded.  There WAS an unframed canopy tooled by Hobbyboss, but sadly it was never included in the kit.

The kits canopy was never designed to be posed open, so, I've done my best to scratchbuild the rails and add details to the cockpit (especially behind the seat and on the sliding portion that the canopy attaches to.

After trying to get a good representation of the kit instrument panel, and not being happy, I managed to find an Eduard one on ebay and it makes a world of difference.

Being late to the party with this kit, and in light of the difficulty of acquiring Paul fishers wheels, I also managed to find an Eduard PE set with much more realistic spoked hubs to use with the kit tires.

After discovering that the HVAR rocket rear mounts are incorrect, and having already assembled the wings, I wasn't comfortable trying to cut out the eight little rectangular doors, and realized that the rocket assemblies were going to be fragile, I've now filled in the mounting holes in the wings and will be building the airframe sans rockets.

The nose gear strut needs a scissor as the kit does not provide one.

I picked up a set of HGW fabric belts designed for a B-25, and can make them work for this application, the buckle style matches some reference photos I've found.

It has been a nice kit so far, and apart from still needing to correct those canopy 'strips' and get the cockpit all finished, I can close it up and get ready for the bare metal finish....  oh goody....

13 hours ago, David Irons said:

Since this topic has re-opened and I have the F-84E kit underway, I thought I might chime in.

PLUS.. I need to get a few posts in to get out of 'moderator approved' status, and hope replies count!

I have both kits, so have swapped the airbrake to get the correct one for both.

Those pesky rivets in the canopy reinforcing tape need to be filled and sanded.  There WAS an unframed canopy tooled by Hobbyboss, but sadly it was never included in the kit.

The kits canopy was never designed to be posed open, so, I've done my best to scratchbuild the rails and add details to the cockpit (especially behind the seat and on the sliding portion that the canopy attaches to.

After trying to get a good representation of the kit instrument panel, and not being happy, I managed to find an Eduard one on ebay and it makes a world of difference.

Being late to the party with this kit, and in light of the difficulty of acquiring Paul fishers wheels, I also managed to find an Eduard PE set with much more realistic spoked hubs to use with the kit tires.

After discovering that the HVAR rocket rear mounts are incorrect, and having already assembled the wings, I wasn't comfortable trying to cut out the eight little rectangular doors, and realized that the rocket assemblies were going to be fragile, I've now filled in the mounting holes in the wings and will be building the airframe sans rockets.

The nose gear strut needs a scissor as the kit does not provide one.

I picked up a set of HGW fabric belts designed for a B-25, and can make them work for this application, the buckle style matches some reference photos I've found.

It has been a nice kit so far, and apart from still needing to correct those canopy 'strips' and get the cockpit all finished, I can close it up and get ready for the bare metal finish....  oh goody....

My project stalled due to frayed nerves (best intentions and all of that), but maybe Ali @Aerocraft might consider making a clear resin canopy without the framing, if someone has a copy to lend and there's sufficient demand? His stuff is great. I'd definitely buy one. 

I believe Eduard's exterior sets feature the tiny NLG scissor link as part 7 on 32-394 [E] and 32-314 [G]. It's a lovely model and such a pity Kitty Hawk folded before they got around to the Thunderstreak and Thunderflash. Would have made a fantastic trio.

Tony