Instrument panel decals

LSP_Matt

Wondering how you guys apply a flat decal comprising the instrument panel dials to what appears to be ( in the case of HASE 1/32 kits) a 3-D panel. Just looking at it on the decal sheet and comparing the panel it doesn't look quite right ;)

Hmmm <_<

Do you cut them up and insert in the respective dials 1 by 1.

Do you 'future' drop over the top to simulate the dial face glass?

Any hints much appreciated...

TIA Matt :)

The instrument decals provided on the '109G-4 kit's decal sheet were individually cut from the sheet and applied to the instrument panel with several heavy doses of MicroSol. While labor intensive to cut & apply the 17 individual decals to the panel, the results are far better than anything I could have done by attempting to paint and/or scratch-build the details.

A drop of Micro Krystal Klear (or plain white glue) over the faces gives them a glass-lens look.

HTH,

D

post-2-1116177585_thumb.jpg

Personally, I don't bother cutting out individual dials (I guess I'm lazy). I simply use setting solutions to get the decal to settle down.

Just before I place the decal, I brush a fresh liberal coat of Future all over the instrument panel. With the Future still wet, I place my decal. I'll then brush Microsol on the freshly placed decal to get it to soften up. As the Future dries, it sucks the softened decal down with it.

Follow that up with a shot of matte coat, then go back and put a drop of Future in each dial to simulate glass.

Note: all of the above is done after the panel has been dry-brushed and weathered.

Most folks do cut the instruments out individually. If you don't wish to invest in rather expensive punch-die sets, I suggest you buy a good pair of small cuticle scissors at your favorite discount store. These bad boys are super sharp and curved so you can do the cutting without too much trouble in 1/32nd.....in 1/72nd, it becomes a problem.

Bails-In-Minnesota

thank chaps...I thought I was heading towards individual placements and I like smithery's ideas( effort reduction techniques...always good ideas) on having something cure and draw the decal down onto the face of the dial.

Can't wait to give it a try. <_<