Lets talk about black basing

dsahling1

All of these effect techniques I hope will go away as just another fad, as they tend to be over-done and/or inappropriate to the subject. Not to say that one could find real life examples of what the effects are trying to reproduce, but that the effects are becoming the new orthodoxy for model finish in general. Remember when dry-brushing was the big thing? Or discovered exposed metal with paint wear and used silver rub-n-buff for effect?

I think it's just a matter of "what you want to do". When i will have to make a heavily weathered F-14B, i'm sure i would use black basing as it is EXACTLY what it looks like.

But if i have to do a neat colorful racer, of course i wont do this way.

The technique i mostly use if panel lines preshading, but if also depends of the model, the colors, the era, the weathering, and so on.... I agree that no technique should become the orthodoxy. Several different techniques for several different results.

Actually this is an old technique, we were using it in the early 90's. I guess as with all fashion it goes away then comes back.

I do fancy trying it again though as I think it's fair to say my skills as a modeller have improved significantly over the last 25 years!

• 2 years later...