1/32 Trumpeter P-40B..Going Dark

fightnjoe

Dave thank you for the information.  Very much appreciated.  Thank you for the photos.  They will be of great help.  

I am at a bit of a conundrum though as to make the fixes for the guns and ammo boxes I would have to destroy most of the wing as I have it.  My own fault but it is a bit of a let down.  May have to think on this one a bit.  Move forward knowing it is wrong or basically start over again.

Joe

Well it happened yet again.

Wing work volume 2.  

The ammo chute is redone, two frames are redone, and the stringers are now redone.  Seems every step forward is followed by two or ten steps back.

First was to strip out the offending parts.

Wing-9_zpsfnbrenfn.jpg

Than with everything replaced.

Wing-8_zpsqysqdlyn.jpg

I also had worked some on the flap interiors.

Wing-7_zpsqmcotijz.jpg

Now to move forward.  

All comments, critiques, and criticism are encouraged.

Joe

Many thanks.

Bonus material time....

As I started out today I thought why not show what I was doing.  Just a small assembly but it is worth the time.

Today I began by cleaning up the bulkheads.  Remember those....

Bulkheads_zpsqw1y7y4r.jpg

Well I began with punching out a hole, the largest my punch set has, and then using the dremel I worked the bulkheads out to where they looked more like they do in my drawings.  I then went in with 320 sandpaper and cleaned them up.

Bulkheads-2_zpsgz2b3qzj.jpg

Once that was done I was able to start on the fuel cell.  Using bulkhead #7 as a reference I sketched out the form, that was cut out, cleaned up, and then used as a master to form 3 pieces of sheet styrene.  I then cut two pieces of tube styrene, size isnt important as long as it fits.  I glued the tube to the sheet and then put them all together.

Fuel-Cell-1_zpsbkza0dp2.jpg

I then used .010 sheet styrene and skinned the framework.  Also using the same bulkhead I fashioned a stand to keep the fuel cell in place.

Fuel-Cell-2_zpsqpzslw2y.jpg

Just that simple.  

Ok next will be to continue to work the interior, most likely starting with the tail and moving forward.  I do need to add detail to most of the bulkheads as well as the fuel cell.

I hope you enjoyed the bonus.

Joe

Wow.  It really is amazing what can happen when we move past a stumbling block.

Just a bit of an update:

Work has commenced on the interior begining with the tail wheel assembly.  This does not represent 100% accuracy as I needed to make sure there was stability and strength as well.  

Tail-Wheel-1_zpsfwiyljnc.jpg

Before I go too far I really need to open up the access door on the fuselage.  For that first a template is made out of aluminium foil which is taped to an aluminium can, cut out, and cleaned up a bit.

Access-Door-1_zpsro7rsp1e.jpg

Next is to drill out the door.  Let the drilling begin.

Cuts-2_zpsnituppx5.jpg

And drilled out.

Cuts-3_zpssruab38z.jpg

Next will be to clean up the cut and then I can put in stringers and back plates.

Joe

Moving right along with the interior work.

First up was to clean up the access door and then attach a backing plate.

Access-Door-2_zps39uc34zt.jpg

Once that was completed I moved on to putting the stringers in place.  These are .020 hex rod.  

Stringers-1_zpslt6wjrwk.jpg

With that done the part of the builds that I truly enjoy could begin.  The interior work.

First up was to prep bulkheads 8 and 9 for radio equipment.  I took some time and set up the racks to mimic what I have seen in pictures.

Bulkheads-3_zpsabtt4kdr.jpg

The next step of course was to actually build up the radio equipment.  Now indulge me on this.  

From left to right.  Radio boxes both recieving and transmitting, dynamotor and antenna switch box, junction box, and the reciever and transmitter.

SCR-183---1_zpsi6gdbjo6.jpg

Now with that ready, before I can add the wiring, I am going to need to do some painting I think.  I may just move on and continue the construction of interior assemblies.  Thinking on this.

Joe