F-105D Alice's Joy Col. Jack Broughton

dora9

A good raincoat is what you need for those spit balls! :rofl:

Can't wait to see yours all dressed up! :punk:

For me, I'm all primed up and ready to go! She'll be awesome! :yahoo:

Still have two F/G to do, so Gary's canopies will come handy!

Thanks everybody for the kind words! :blush:

"And if the sun don't come, you'll get your tan from standing in the english rain" The Beatles

So now on with the canopy. Windshield is on and puttied, had to spread it a bit to have a nicer fit. The little white thing protruding just under the cockpit sill is the canopy opening handle, it will be painted yellow.

P1080312_zps0558f921.jpg

P1080315_zps5fd0fe13.jpg

Photoetch is attached on both side, had to trim it a bit for a better fit.

P1080306_zps3bc8c974.jpg

Bit of cleaning to do.

P1080307_zps0fcc8e18.jpg

Shimmed photoetch to have a more scale like thickness, bit of putty and voilà! Better than have it glued straight to the canopy!

P1080309_zpsdff5a4b3.jpg

A bit of rework on the spine in front of vertical, was a bit too high for me. Does it bug you when there is something, well it could be all right but not quite? Then you look at it and.... nahhh! had to rework it.

Or else it will bug you for the rest of your life! That's the story of the spine.

P1080313_zpsa842b332.jpg

So that's it for now. Hope that it won't tie me to much because there is also the "Double Trouble" GB to do! But I'm so eager to put colors on it! And decals! And weapons!

Thanks Paul and Loic, it's a small bit but when it comes to canopies, I'm quite ham fisted, so glad that the photoetch went in without problem.

Don't know what's up with me and canopies, if I don't drop them 20 times while working on them and eventualy crack them, not broke them in gazillion pieces, no just the tiny crack that you

can't repair and shows when finished. And a bad canopy will ruined your model even if you have the most terrific paint job on the planet!

So I'll keep my fingers crossed and hope for the best!

LOOKIN' GOOD Andre!

How are you going to mask your windscreen and canopy?

Like the PE on the canopy rails.   How do you do your glass "Insutation" lines   those Yellow or tan lines around the glass.

I actually read about them but no-one could tell me if they were on the inside or out side  the glass

Looking forward to seeing the colors and If I get lucky I might catch up with you so we can finish about the same time.

watch'in you :wicked:

jack

LOOKIN' GOOD Andre!

How are you going to mask your windscreen and canopy?

Like the PE on the canopy rails.   How do you do your glass "Insutation" lines   those Yellow or tan lines around the glass.

I actually read about them but no-one could tell me if they were on the inside or out side  the glass

Looking forward to seeing the colors and If I get lucky I might catch up with you so we can finish about the same time.

jack

Oh Yeah André, how are you gonna mask your windscreen........ :wicked: :whistle:

Dan.

Now calm down younglings, you have reach a certain age that you need to learn a few things... :rofl:

A good friend of mine gave me his leftover decals so I could do Alice. In the bunch there was the  Eduard mask set, just the left over, for the -D. I previously check Eduard site to try and get my hands on it,

and to my surprise it was only available in the Big Ed set! Now I won't pay 70-80 bucks just for masks, so one evening that I was looking at the left over, I had an epiphany, a big flash like a giant flash bulb,

"Man that just look like Tamiya tape! So what if I just take some tape and re-do the mask?" So out came the tape, spread some over and with a fresh X-Acto blade, one gulp of scotch whisky, started some delicate surgery. "Now it may hurt a bit so chew on this wood block."

To my surprise, you won't believe it my younglings, came out a new set of mask! :yahoo: :wow:

Now as you can see, there are two sets of mask for a single seater, why would you ask? Haaa... good question, one is under sized for the sealant bead and the other for the overal painting!

There is one set already missing, I used it and painted the line with some dark gull grey because on the pics I looked at, it had a beige-grey color with a little pink hue to it, certainly not yellow.

So in short never throw out you Eduard mask, or any other one, because you can use it again or help a fellow modeler!

Jack for that sealant bead, I checked a lot of pictures, got my hands on this, it's all that Airpower published on the Thud plus the manuals on the YF, B, D, F and G.

And mostly on the camo ones, you can see that the paint on that sealant is peeling so it's not has straight as the NMF or silver ones. I'll check and try to post some pics.

Hope this answer a few of your questions my younglings, now go play with your models! :rofl:

Edited by dora9

So had a good look at Alice and they don't show! They are painted over! I did all that cutting, drinking and clenching my teeth for nothing! :crying:

The sealant beads don't show at all! On Alice #1 you see them but on #2, wich is the one I'm building, they don't show. Ok less assle.

So Jack got some pics for you hope it may help. In the first pic you have a good look at the sealant strip and the spine in front of the vertical.

f_105_thunderchief_zpsdeb28174.jpg

F-1059_zps0d38883a.jpg

F-105-1_zps8aae96d4.jpg

Second one is from a B and last one is from a G model. On camoed aircrafts, the sealant is painted over and after some use, the paint is flaking so you can see the sealant. Good thing your canopy will be closed

because if you take a close look to the last pic, you'll see the sealant strip from the inside! And it is not yellow!

So hoping it will help and maybe someday our Thud will fly together!

Andre, I want to Thank You for posting this information as it confirmed that this is on the outside and no it's not yellow.

I ask some former ground troops about it, but they could not remember if it was in or outside the glass.

I know the reinforcement tape Republic used on the F-84 canopy was on the outside and the pics of 105's

it looks to be outside, but wasn't sure.

I'll use a light gray and be happy with it.   Helps a lot

jack

Speaking of tape and F-84, a few years ago I was in Toulouse and we visited the "Les Ailes Anciennes" museum and I got this picture that will certainly interest people,

P1040402JPG_zpsaa1464a0.jpg

You can clearly see that the tapes, wich are fiberglass strips, are on the outside of the canopy.

And last one for the Hun drivers out there:

P1040384JPG_zps15b6dddf.jpg

That's what you call burned metal! Someday I'll do a Hun just to try this!

TTFN!

Edited by dora9

Nothing like a gloss coat to let all the blemishes and defects show! It's all part of a painting technique that I borrowed from this guy:

http://doogsmodels.com/2014/07/03/technique-black-basing/

I tried a little different technique of his on my Mig 21 and loved the way it turned out, so for this one I'll go with what he call "The Black Basing Technique".

P1080320_zps8592c849.jpg

Sinister you say? Like a vampire? Sinister Vampire! :frantic:

P1080319_zpsb2cb14ab.jpg

P1080321_zps13983211.jpg

Man those wheel bays are really popping out on black !

P1080322_zpse3765b7d.jpg

For the sealant lines, I just found out that you have to do them on the frames of the canopy and windshield and that the Eduard mask are undersized. Jack you know those rivets lines on the canopy?

That's where you have to mask for the sealant. Look at the pic below you'll see. And if you use the Eduard masks on the widshield, it will leave almost nothing of the clear panels. On the canopy there is a nice recess line to guide you. On the windshield it's a bit different, you're on your own! :frantic:

f_105_thunderchief_zpsdeb28174.jpg

Hope that it will help you.

TTFN

Edited by dora9

Thanks Andre'

"Sinister Vampire" is the F model I'm building .  I started on her before switching to Vic's D model.

I'm looking forward to seeing this Black-Basing.

Since mine is "Silver Lacquer"  I'm figuring how to do it and NOT look like my J-6 and I think a full flat coat will make a difference.

I'm not used to having a painted silver airplane representing a Silver Painted airplane more like a silver painted airplane representing a NMF

Thanks for the "Bead" info

watch'in  you

First try with the Black Basing technique, first the black coat wich I used some enamel paint.

P1080323_zps34db2be7.jpg

And after some acryl paint, the gray is a custom mix. You fill the interior of the panels and after that you blend it by painting over.

P1080325_zps19cc0d8b.jpg

Too bad it's too subtle for the camera, it does not show properly but live it is a lot more visible. After that a bit of wash in panel lines and that's it. The nice thing in using acryl paint is if you don't like the result,

you take some Windex or any cleaner with amonia and you strip it. It won't affect the base coat wich is enamel.

More to come.