Night Attack-St Eduard Sanitorium-Dec44

JRutman

During the Battle of the Bulge there was a series of attacks and counter attacks to gain control of this strategically placed building that controlled the road between Stoumont and LeGlieze,Belgium.

After the Americans from the 30Inf Div retook it from the Germans of the 1SS PzDiv. a violent night time counterattack was launched by the Germans under Obersturmfuhrer Sievers of the Div Eng Bn. A mixed force of pioneers of around 75 men supported by heavy mortars and a few Panther tanks stormed the main building during the early morning hours,catching the defenders by surprise,capturing the building and knocking out 3 Shermans within a few minutes.

The Pioneers gained entrence through holes shot in the walls by the supporting tanks and then took the large structure room by room using grenades,panzerfausts,small arms and explosives until all the Americans were evicted except a few taken prisoner in the celler along with a crowd of civilians. A squad of GIs held out in an outbuilding  but the waffenSS was back in control of the crucial building. They stayed there until the rest of Peipers' kampfgruppe was flanked and the pioneers were ordered to leave. Sievers left the area with about 10 men from his original company still unwounded and was awarded the Knights' Cross later.

Wow,didn't mean to type that much.

Heavily modified figs.  breaking and entering.

IMG_0363_zpscf9441c1.jpg

Signalling the tanks to shift fires

IMG_0294_zps0bf0f0d0.jpg

running commo wire to the advanced position

IMG_0343_zps6cecc070.jpg

knocking out the ShermansIMG_0330_zps0b0cc91b.jpg

Still lots of work here.  The good news is....WE WON!!

J

Harv,Maru,Pete,Loic,

Thanks for checking in and commenting gents. I appreciate it a lot.

Bill,

I am using my usual technique of cutting the wall out of cardboard and/or matte board and then covering with a coat of plaster. This is then scribed. The wall has had a lot more done to it so far but I have not taken any updated pics yet. I will hopefully get to that in a few days. There are a lot more figgies as well.

J

Thanks Buddy!

I tried something new this time when building my wall. I used a light grey mix in between the stones to replicate mortar. I was having trouble with my earlier builds with getting the color of the local stone to look right and I think this new technique helps accomplish that to a greater degree,

J

I tried something new this time when building my wall. I used a light grey mix in between the stones to replicate mortar. I was having trouble with my earlier builds with getting the color of the local stone to look right and I think this new technique helps accomplish that to a greater degree,J

It looks great. I usually use pure white paint in between stones, then weather it, but that takes a TON of hand work:

22.jpg

Guest Peterpools

J

Very nice work on the stone wall. When I was heavy into model railroading structures and figures were a must and believe it or not, I was in the  weathering camp! My preference was for always hydrocal walls which I preferred to paint and weather with washes. When plastic and resin took over, we painted the walls white an then went then went with washes. The washes just seem to weather in a more natural fashion. Of course, I have no idea why I had the flashback other then enjoying your latest work - top of my list!

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Guest Peterpools

BIll

Super work on the walls. Easiest way to 'add' the mortar:

I use to brush paint on Apple Barrel Antique White after the brick and stone was painted and then just wipe it off with a damp rag. The mortar color wiped off easily from the stone, other then leaving a lite. weathered mist and the mortar was nicely done.

Peter

J

Very nice work on the stone wall. When I was heavy into model railroading structures and figures were a must and believe it or not, I was in the  weathering camp! My preference was for always hydrocal walls which I preferred to paint and weather with washes. When plastic and resin took over, we painted the walls white an then went then went with washes. The washes just seem to weather in a more natural fashion. Of course, I have no idea why I had the flashback other then enjoying your latest work - top of my list!

Keep 'em coming

Peter

I have been using mostly the same techniques since I was into HO scale MRailroads all those many moons ago.

J