Aires AD-4 cockpit error

Dave Williams

Was momentarily excited when I saw that Aires had released a cockpit for the Trumpeter AD-4 (A-1D) Skyraider, but based on their photos it looks like the cockpit is actually for the later A-1H/J.

http://www.aires.cz/cockpit-set/a-1d-ad-4-skyraider-cockpit-set/

Aside from the fact that the PE fret shown in the picture says A-1H (AD-6), the gunsight and IP shroud are the ones fitted to the A-1H/J, which are different than the setup used in the AD-4.

Bummer.  Probably still usable, but you'll have to use the kit IP and shroud.

• 3 months later...

Aires has only released two cockpits in 32 scale. One each for the Trumpy kit  number Aires 2190 and the ZM kit number Aires 2178. Both cockpits are for the A-1H/J. They do not make a cockpit for the AD-4 yet!

You can use the 2190 set with your Trumpeter kit and buy the Eduard color photo etch instrument panel for the AD-4 as I have. It works just fine and you have a better instrument panel than what Aires give you..

HTH

Aires has only released two cockpits in 32 scale. One each for the Trumpy kit  number Aires 2190 and the ZM kit number Aires 2178. Both cockpits are for the A-1H/J. They do not make a cockpit for the AD-4 yet!

You can use the 2190 set with your Trumpeter kit and buy the Eduard color photo etch instrument panel for the AD-4 as I have. It works just fine and you have a better instrument panel than what Aires give you..

HTH

I agree..i did that in my model but with the trumpeter's instruments panel!

Have you checked photos of the airplane you are modelling? Many AD-4's did not have twin 20mm in the wings. The airplane I am building only had two so I will fill the panels in the outer wing so at least I don't have to woryy about them not fitting perfectly. I liked your instrument panel and it looks really good. I think Skyraiders look best in blue.

You are absolutely right! I cheked some photos and this is true!!The only that i dont know is the color in the back of the seat that aires set gives with repousse detail, is that fabric or leather??

My references indicate this as being black. I do not know if it was leather or fabric. I'm painting mine black. Many of the seat and shoulder harnesses were also Olive Drab not white as in WWII aircraft.

My references indicate this as being black. I do not know if it was leather or fabric. I'm painting mine black. Many of the seat and shoulder harnesses were also Olive Drab not white as in WWII aircraft.

Thanks mister.We are right!!:)

Thanks again for your help!!!!

Your welcome and I hope we can share more of our build progress since we are building the same plane. Have you decided on what sea blue you will use? Xtracolor, Model Master and WEM colorcoats are the most accurate colors. I will go with a satin finish and slight weathering with exhuast and small chipping.

Your welcome and I hope we can share more of our build progress since we are building the same plane. Have you decided on what sea blue you will use? Xtracolor, Model Master and WEM colorcoats are the most accurate colors. I will go with a satin finish and slight weathering with exhuast and small chipping.

Totally agree ..with satin finish ..weathering and small chipping!!! I decide to use the gunze H51....and i am thinking to try with the new wash set of Ammo Mig for the Pacific theatre USN Navy planes.What do you think?  

I'm thinking of backdating mine to a dash 1 or dash 2.  So 2 wing guns are in order.  I like the extra large numbers right aft of the canopy too.  Decals are the only problem that I see.  Not sure if I would do the short stubby wing pylons though.  I'm sure I'll be asking about them later, because I don't have a clue as to their size or shape.  Might be able to closely guess by looking at my reference pictures.

I've been a Skyraider fan going back to the old "Air Trails" magazine days back in the 1950's.  I'm old guys, I'm very, very old. lol

Best regards

Patrick

Edited by Patrick HMD

I'm thinking of backdating mine to a dash 1 or dash 2.  So 2 wing guns are in order.  I like the extra large numbers right aft of the canopy too.  Decals are the only problem that I see.  Not sure if I would do the short stubby wing pylons though.  I'm sure I'll be asking about them later, because I don't have a clue as to their size or shape.  Might be able to closely guess by looking at my reference pictures.

I've been a Skyraider fan going back to the old "Air Trails" magazine days back in the 1950's.  I'm old guys, I'm very, very old. lol

Best regards

Patrick

I was....i am....and i will continue to be a Skyraider fan!!i love that plane!!And your advices mr Patrick is very usefull to us!! :bow:

With respect

Philippos

I think the weathering set will work. I like the MIG/Ammo stuff to work with but it's all mineral based so it's best to start with an acrylic basecoat or overcoat with an acrylic sealer. Just remember not to go overboard on the panel lines and make them too light. I did find a photo the other day of two F4U-4 Corsairs and with no gloss left on their paintwork and they looked well used. Remember though most Panther  and Skyraiders were only a couple of years old at best. Land based marine aircraft did get really dirty though.

I think the weathering set will work. I like the MIG/Ammo stuff to work with but it's all mineral based so it's best to start with an acrylic basecoat or overcoat with an acrylic sealer. Just remember not to go overboard on the panel lines and make them too light. I did find a photo the other day of two F4U-4 Corsairs and with no gloss left on their paintwork and they looked well used. Remember though most Panther  and Skyraiders were only a couple of years old at best. Land based marine aircraft did get really dirty though.

Very importand and usefull info.....

it seems a challenge for me and my skills in that scale.