What Else ???? Another HK B-17 Build

patricksparks

Money is the biggest limiting factor LOL, then space...

I know what you mean.  Those are the two exact reasons I'm not getting another kit.  Yesterday, I went and bought another Monogram B-17 for 40% off.  Better price and better displayability.  

This looks great. And :post1:

Got to ask..... That WOOD you painted how did you do that, it looks awesome, step by step plz ;)

i love it.. so keep em coming now....

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

The wood finish I do is really easy. I use chalk pastels, I first spray on a light coat of  Modelmaster  Sand with lacquer thinner so that it dries quickly, I only wait about 5-10 minutes for it to dry. I take different color chalk pastels, like burnt umber and raw sienna(you should experiment with your colors) and scrape them into a powder, don't mix the different colors together, keep them separated. You need a straight,flat,chiseled paint brush like you would use for dry brushing. Dampen the brush with regular water but you don't want the brush"wet" you have to experiment with this,but it's not difficult you will pick it pretty quickly. I use the lighter shade of the pastels first, just take dampened brush and put it into your ground up pastel chalk, you don't want a lot of pastel, little goes a long way. Just drag the brush onto your Sand painted surface in the direction you want your wood's grain to be going, leave a "grain" with your pastel,don't try to completely eclipse the original Sand color. Next take your darker shade and use the same brush stroke,here's where you experiment,you can change the way the grain looks by using the darker shade pastel in variation,lighter here,darker there,lift the brush sometimes instead of dragging it the full length of your"wood" this will give the effect of the way real lumber looks where the grain runs out. When I'm done with the graining I spray a coat of Testors gloss clearover it with lacquer thinner, you can manipulate your gloss by using more or less depending on how glossy you want it to appear. I have used this same technique for do WW I German Fokker aircraft camouflage, works great. You have to experiment,before you clear coat you can also wash the chalk off if you don't like it and re-do it.

Edited by LSP_Kevin

Thank You  for this tip and would love to know where in the world did you come up with it?

Sometimes the story behind a tip is fascinating,because I would not have thought of pastels to make wood

Really Nice Build

Jack  

I can't quite remember how I came about using this method, I first used it for a Fokker DR1's camouflage after trying all kinds of different paint to get the effect, that was about 20 years ago, I think that I stumbled upon it out of desperation to finish the model. I also used it to do wooden propellers, you put down your base enamel color and then use thin strips of tape on the prop to represent the laminations, brush on some pastel, pull off the tape and then apply your second color very ,very lightly to make the  "laminations" look different in color.

Pat

Exceptional work on the interior! If you are using a chemical bluing agent like "blacken it" or another similar project, I know what your problem is.  Oils from your fingers will cause the bluing not to take to the metal. take the barrells down to the bare metal again and be sure not to touch it with your bare fingers, and retreat. be sure to dip the barrells in water to stop the progress or you will have a  rusty mess. let me know how it turns out.

John

Pat

Exceptional work on the interior! If you are using a chemical bluing agent like "blacken it" or another similar project, I know what your problem is.  Oils from your fingers will cause the bluing not to take to the metal. take the barrells down to the bare metal again and be sure not to touch it with your bare fingers, and retreat. be sure to dip the barrells in water to stop the progress or you will have a  rusty mess. let me know how it turns out.

John

Thanks for the advice, I will give it another try !

Thanks, Pat

Welcome to Our Nightmare  Patrick

You are off to a great start

What kind of finish and markings are you planning?

As you probably know their are several builds of the 17 but, all o them are different enough to make it interesting.

I like the forward radio room floor modification......unique as compared to others(looks like a pic I have Nice)

Keep posting

Jack

Thanks for your compliments, The markings are going to be "Skipper" of the 306th Bomb Group, I just have to give that multi colored finish a go at !!!

B173bis_zpsdd7aa73d.jpg

Guest Nigelr32

Beautiful build.

I'm glad to see these mods being done, and it's not only me suffering. If it's not too late, you might want to consider thinning out the edges of the slots in the chin turret? They are actually just sheet metal in real life.

I can't wait to see your flattened nose..