1/32 Trumpeter A-6E

ScotVA36

Has any word come out yet if or when Trump may release this kit the A-6A is a nice kit but the ony A i ever worked on was a convert to KA-6D having worked on the E,TRAM,and SWIP I really would like one of these.

Thanks Folks

Scott

Guest Peterpools

Scott

I originally thought is was suppose to be released by Christmas but who knows. I've also been waiting for the A6E and my kit of choice. For what they cost, looks like only one Intruder will be in the collection

Boystown Miniature Hobbies has the box art up on their website and are taking deposits, with a release date of Nov 11th. Yup, it's past and gone but maybe Christmas might just come true.

Peter

We may wait longer that originally thought. I had heard a rumor that Trump may release a EA-6A based on the A kit with a different nose and rudder! But we will all have to wait and see! My feeling is we won't see the TRAM-E till this time next year. Let's just hope they get it right! We all know how the rumor mill works in our community of model builders!!

Paul

Im not really a rivit counter but when it comes to the A-6 I find myself being really picky being as I worked on them for many many years, but ive come to the conclusion no company will ever get them right so if its close I can deal with it, just need a good starting point.

Im not really a rivit counter but when it comes to the A-6 I find myself being really picky being as I worked on them for many many years, but ive come to the conclusion no company will ever get them right so if its close I can deal with it, just need a good starting point.

Awesome; Since you're a seasoned Intruder tweaker, what are the visual differences between the 'A' and the 'E' TRAM besides the chin pod/turret?

I'm a big Intruder buff!

Scratch-building a chin pod would be easy enough and obvious visual difference. It's the 'unknowns' that concern me. Like a grill or small intake somewhere, different lights (Not formation lights), VS shape with different antennas etc. 

I plan on doing a KA-6D refueling an F-14A/B/D diorama some day.

I also want to build an A-6 in each nose color it wore.

When were you in the Navy?

Did you serve any other squadrons?

What ship(s) were you on?

I remember a a kid seeing A-6's at Norfolk NAS back in the late '60's/early '70's almost every day. Also saw E-1's and C-1's there too. The first time I ever saw a Harrier was at Norfolk NAS doing VTOL practice.

I was in the Navy 1982-2003 was in 3 A-6 squadrons VA-42 (Shore Based),VA-34 (USS America),and VA-36 (USS Roosevelt) the later during Desert Storm. We had KA-6D's in 42 and 34 not in 36, I worked on TRAMS and we had a handful of SWIPS had 18 jets in 36 with 10 of those with the pain in the butt Boeing rewings (composite) the others offcourse where the metal wings. I was an Aviation Structural Mechanic. I'll try and put together a list of differances if I can remember them all, the most noticles off my head where the fuselage speedbrake(no liteing holes)on the E, the avionics cooling scoop top,port Fus just fwd the vert stab(not on the A),ECM ant installed on wingtips ontop of the fuel dumps inboard the tip speedbrakes. I'll have to think more on it,but I'll come up with it. I loved the Intruder better than the other aircraft I worked on in my 21 year career A-4,T-2,and the F/A-18C and D.

BTW " Buff " in the Matwing community means " Big Ugly Fat F#%@er "

Scott

Edited by ScotVA36

The A-6A kit is pretty darn good IMHO. It actually is pretty dang close to an early (non composite wing) E version out of the box. I think the only major bits not included would be the chin turret as noted by Showtime and the large airscoop on the top of the rear fuselage.

The instrument panel would be a little different but if you fashion the big face-hood deal for the B/N typical of the "E" that will hide much of it I think?

edit:

-I think I posted same time as Scott - thank you for more details on the differences in A-6 versions!

concerning the ECM antennas on the tops of the wing fuel dumps - interestingly these are supplied in the Trump A version kit. 

Edited by petrov27