Airfix 1/24 Supermarine Spitfire Mk1a

Sparzanza

Moving along. I only managed to get two hours of sleep so yeehaw and stuff.

Finding ejector pin marks at the worst possible places, no surprise there. I got the landing gear folding up and down the way I wanted it to, though.

Also, after cleaning up most of the flash from the infested front half of the air intake I sanded it ... hard. It turned out seamless. Me likey.

DSC00202_zpscd35be47.jpg

DSC00203_zps98b755eb.jpg

DSC00204_zps18be114f.jpg

DSC00205_zps0f10359b.jpg

DSC00206_zps4872cebf.jpg

DSC00207_zpse5450292.jpg

DSC00208_zps0d2ab6cb.jpg

Nice work, Sparzanza!

HÃ¥kan

Tackar!

Flash and Airfix, they go together like bread and butter ;)

Steaming right along and tracking well!  You might be able to punch a disc out of sheet with a hole punch to simulate the cap on the top of the fuselage.  I have found that the scrapbooking stores or art supply shops sell different sized hole punches pretty cheap.  I picked up a few and some odd square and shaped ones too.  For material you can use thin clear packaging to punch out as you are going to paint it anyway.  You might have to use superglue to attach it though as I don't think regular glue works well on clear plastic packaging.

Keep having fun.

Dan

Haha, that's truly one unique way to make fuel caps - I couldn't come up with something like that in a million years. :) I did find another solution though... I noticed that the propeller shaft was about 1.5 mm too long, so I simply cut off a little at the end to make it fit better.. but voilá, I had a fuel cap in my hand, albeit a bit.. hollow. Nothing a little filler couldn't fix though!

DSC00210_zpsd51d5be9.jpg

DSC00211_zps61aba5eb.jpg

I also glued the remaining air intakes and filters and whatnot underneath:

DSC00209_zpsc73559ec.jpg

And started painting the wings.. the first coat is seldom pretty:

DSC00212_zpsb68e03bd.jpg

Undercarriage:

DSC00213_zpsa122a0a4.jpg

And I finished painting the battery in the process:

DSC00214_zpsb3d37cd7.jpg

More to come later!

A little more progress.

Sanded the fuel cap smooth.

DSC00215_zps1881d318.jpg

And then I started masking the parts underneath that will be painted black, and sealed the seams with varnish ... to be safe.

DSC00216_zps523726a1.jpg

DSC00217_zpsa3487192.jpg

The wheels have been painted, but the tyres still need some work.

DSC00218_zpsf429c28a.jpg

The propeller is completed:

DSC00219_zps79fc8f88.jpg

Alllright....

This is coming together damn good :D

A Duckegggreen and Black underside.....Im in Love :D this is so nice :D

Thanks! Myesh, the instructions says "Humbrol 90 (approx sky)" but I'm not convinced that they were this green underneath. All the movies I've seen with them has been painted white underneath so .. meh. I guess I'll trust Airfix on this.

Looking very good Sparzanza! Agree with Mal, interesting with duckegg and black.

HÃ¥kan

Thanks! Interesting as in "not accurate, but cool anyway"? :D

You are getting to the good part, Paint!

Nice idea for the little cap, work with what you have :)

Dan

"Man tager vad man haver" as we'd say in Sweden. :) Hopefully there'll be more painting, and soon. Thanks for stopping by!

Love your work!! keep up the speed sparz.

Boris

Doing my best to do so!

Upon removing the tape after two coats of Humbrol 33 - I was pleased with the result .. apart from the fact that I had assumed the entire underside was going to be black, thus not painting the bottom half .. half. Oops. More masking and painting to be done. Showing a picture of it so that you'll know what I mean!

I've also found the proper green to be used for the camouflage - it's not 30, which, in my opinion, looks like utter dung. It ruined the Hurricane's looks slightly. But now that I know of the Humbrol 116... never Humbrol 30 again!

DSC00220_zps6e4471ef.jpg

DSC00221_zps1134ebf6.jpg

DSC00222_zps93fcbfe2.jpg

DSC00223_zps42ff6e23.jpg

DSC00224_zps9e2d5394.jpg

Guest Peterpools

Sparzanza

Super progress on the Big Spit. Somehow I missed the fact that you are hand painting the cammo; sure looks mighty good.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

:popcorn: :popcorn:

Sparzanza

Super progress on the Big Spit. Somehow I missed the fact that you are hand painting the cammo; sure looks mighty good.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

:popcorn: :popcorn:

Thank you, Mr. Pools! It was a bit tricky to get the shapes right, but practice makes perfect! Glad you like it.

Looks great Sparzanza - really nice paint work

Thanks Thomas! Doing my best!

Very nice paint job Sparzanza! Slightly different from the one I did in 32nd which was half white and half black.

You're very good with the brush.

HÃ¥kan

Thanks HÃ¥kan! Half white, half black looks awesome. And if I recall correctly, the old boxing of the 1/24 Spitfire had the option to build these markings (LO-B --> http://img.wp.scn.ru/camms/ar/52/pics/9_179.jpg), it had 50/50 black/white camo as well. It's just now with this new boxing and decals that this scheme popped up. I must say I like the old one better, but hey... can't have everything. :)

I agree with HÃ¥kan,

You are good with the brush :D

And also nice paintjob and its fun to watch this thread since its a go all the time, and things happen all the time, thumbs up on that one.

Thank you! I do my best here, eh. ;) Glad you have fun watching!

A quick update for yous .. since everything else was drying, and I needed something to do - I decided to mask the canopy. You know the deal, cover the stoof with tape, have it settle down nicely using toothpicks and q-tips, then using a fresh razor blade to cut off any excess tape. Worked a treat .. mostly. I should really get a proper hobby knife for this ...

DSC00225_zpsbb6d5aa0.jpg

DSC00226_zps0e0dab81.jpg

DSC00227_zps35af2a93.jpg