Tamiya's F4U-1 CORSAIR

TheScaleWorkshop

Kev, Have you given any thought to a special "Tamiya Corsair Works In Progress" thread with all the builds going on ? Looks like this is a hit.

When Tamiya released its Mustang we ran a dedicated Group Build for Mustang builds (not limited to just the Tamiya kit), and it was a relative failure. We won't be indulging in any kit-specific GBs again.

Kev

Hello all,

As I prefer my birds in flight mode, this build will see the Corsair with her landing gear raised and all control surfaces inflight (the former will also help speed up the build). I'm still on the fence about adding aftermarket items. I'm thinking of using Eagle-Editions set #2 for the Spirit of '76 or just sticking with stock decals for 17-F-13. Guaranteed additions will be ignitions cables for mr.Engine and wiring within the cockpit as well as a custom perch for this bird. And as the following photos will show, some scratch built additions to the wings.

So the plan for this build is to get the wings and control surfaces done first. The reason for this is I'm concerned that I'll put in a lot of effort towards the engine and cockpit and then loose the drive to complete the rest of the kit (admit it, we've all had this happern to us). If I go with this alternative root I feel I have a better chance of completing this bird, which is what this beauty deserves!

First up is the radiater for the upper wing. Used Model Master Interior green for the primer, Tamiya acrylics for the rest and an oil wash to add a bit of wear.
lsp_corsair_otb_03.jpg

Some shots of the oil coolers. Custom mix for the US Navy Insignia white based of of Flat Gull Grey. This subassembly is indicative of the detail in this kit. It's made up of nine pieces each, three of them being photo-etch.

lsp_corsair_otb_04.jpg

lsp_corsair_otb_05.jpg

I know the color for the primer is supposed to be a salmon shade and accuracy aside, I decided to use Interior Green all around.

lsp_corsair_otb_06.jpg

Last shots for this update will be the additions to the outer wings. I'm not sure why Tamiya was relunctant to not include any armaments for their Corsair kit and I didn't want to have an empty space behind the gun openings so I came up with my own solution. Take a look and let me know what you think.

lsp_corsair_otb_01.jpg

lsp_corsair_otb_02.jpg

That's it for this show'n'tell. Before posting this I am happy to say that the outer and inner wings have been glued up as well as most of the control surfaces, with them only needing a bit of cleanup. Getting those sorted means this build is well on its way :)

Happy Modelling!

_pL

Kev,

That's too bad but at least it had been tried. Regardless, I don't think there'll be a shortage of Corsair builds here.

pL

Not if I can help it! LOL

Lookin good! Im real surprised they didnt give anything there for the guns..I mean..they supplied the gun cameras! but no guns!

Thanks Tim!

She is a beaut of a kit. Are you serious about the gun cameras? Didn't notice any on the sprues (not that there aren't enough of them to go through :). Hoping for some quality time on the bench tonight.

pL

• 2 weeks later...

Alright, so this is a very minimal progress post but I just needed to post something...loL!

So, I got some paint on the cockpit parts and interior fuselage. Started off with a basecoat of Tamiya XF-63 German Grey (which in retrospect was a pretty sacrilege thing to do...) and then over it with very thinned coats of Model Masters Green Zinc Chromate. I really like how the dark grey comes though. All pics show pieces prior to any washes.

lsp_corsair_otb_07.jpg

lsp_corsair_otb_08.jpgYou can see the difference that the basecoat of German Grey makes: rear of fuselage is the Green Zinc Chromate sprayed directly onto the plastic compared to it applied over the grey in the cockpit area.

lsp_corsair_otb_12.jpg

lsp_corsair_otb_13.jpg

Lastly, found the perfect supplement for wiring up the cockpit at a bead store while tagging along with the missus. Bonus is it comes in black!

lsp_corsair_otb_09.jpg

Barracuda's Cockpit Stencils and Placards decal set came in the mail last week... so pretty safe to say I am highly motivated to getting 'em on mr.Cockpit.

Happy Modelling!

pL

Looking good so far, but be aware the the birdcage Corsair's cockpit was painted in Dull Dark Green, not Green Zinc Chromate. Color photos of unrestored Bircages confirm this.

Hope it's not too late!

Happy modelling! Roy.

PS. Work slowly and carefully with our cockpit stencil and placard decals, they are pretty teeny!

Looking forward to seeing this come together.