My attempt at a FAA Corsair

Hagar

Well disaster has struck. Not paying attention to what I am doing and I made the inner left flaps using the up position. It would not fit well at all so I looked again and puzzled it out. I managed to get the flaps apart, but they look crappy. Am putting a request in to Tamiya and hope I can get new ones reasonably inexpensively. I guess I can do the right inner flaps, landing gear, and the vertical stab while I wait. Very disappointed with myself.

I can only reiterate what has been mentioned a number of times, read the instructions and high-lite the ones that pertain to your build. Hopefully get back on track soon.

James

Edited by Hagar

That looks great James.

I started the same kit and plan on using the same markings also. I just haven't had the time to get into the hobby room lately but plan to get on it harder once the weather turns more fall like.

Okay I have buffed it out all I can and hope after some paint no one will know about the flap. Getting closer to the paint stage btw. Maybe be able to do it this weekend I hope.

DSC03676.JPG

DSC03677.JPG

DSC03678.JPG

Bottom pic you can just make out the damage. Left inboard as you look at it.

James

File it down ,fill it with putty and sand her up Mate it will be fine primer and paint will hide a lot. the build is coming along great, Mine is coming along at a bit slower pace.

Cheers Murph...

Okay I have buffed it out all I can and hope after some paint no one will know about the flap. Getting closer to the paint stage btw. Maybe be able to do it this weekend I hope.

DSC03676.JPG

DSC03677.JPG

DSC03678.JPG

Bottom pic you can just make out the damage. Left inboard as you look at it.

James

Cant even tell mate.................honestly cant really even see it, and would never have know had you not pointed it out. I wouldnt sweat it............looks terrific. :)

James, REALLY oustanding. I keep telling myself "don't buy it !" but after seeing yours and the others , well, Not sure. But great job so far...........Harv :popcorn:

Thanks everyone. Harv, this is one of the nicest if not the nicest kits I have put together. Fit and engineering are incredable. It just needs attention to the instructions and decisions made early on. You wouldnt regret it.

James

Only had a little time yesterday. Landing gear are on and what gems they are. Just amazing how well this goes together. I didnt do so well on the wings, but it will look okay, not great, but okay. The little doors that open during wing fold are a pain to install, but very very cool. Some bits and bobs to finish, some masking to do and painting will commence. Very excited about this.

DSC03681.JPG

DSC03680.JPG

DSC03679.JPG

James

Guest Peterpools

James

Perfect fix and even before you had to do the fix, I couldn't really see the mistake. Still looks mighty fine to me.

Keep 'em coming

:popcorn: :popcorn:

Initial paint is done. I tried to make it rough as all the pics I have found the OD looks very uneven and rough. Might have to go over this again. Not sure if it will look better after I gloss coat and weather. Tomorrow is another day anyways.

DSC03689.JPG

DSC03688.JPG

DSC03687.JPG

Comments and critiques welcome.
James

Hi James,

i should start off by saying, i don't know nearly as much about the FAA "Slime and Sewage" paint schemes on the Corsair as i do about the Navy 3- tone schemes. Others know more.

If i had a criticism it would be i think the separation between colours should be just a little bit more sharp. As it looks right now the paint looks like it was put on in a hurry; the coverage looks uneven and the green that goes up to the leading edge of the right wing looks a bit incomplete.

You could add some variety by adding one drop of white to the base colour and over spraying both the slate gray and the extra dark sea gray. Painting on the wing walkways (if they had them) and the chord wise anti skid areas will also add mofre visual interest. Lastly, i'd seriously consider painting on the national insignia.

Maybe its because there is no wash in the panel lines, maybe its because its devoid of markings. Right now it just looks a bit bland to me.

Not to sound too critical, but painting is my bag and when it comes to Corsairs i'm rather opinionated.

But keep on posting the pics. I'm excited to see it finished.

david