Heinkel He51 - resource matrial?

Guest KingK_series

Guest KingK_series

Thanks Simon,

By the way, will you be treating us to a work in progress thread of your he 51 ?

Art

Wasn't ready for that yet ;-

had intended to introduce myself and write something about what I am trying to do

but here are a couple of pics, beginning the floatplane, and trying to just make the kit fuselage and floats symmetrical

L1080591_zpse3da1a3c.jpg

L1080588_zpse9093eb0.jpg

in truth I detest preshading - panels need to be panels - I think - so much of what you see is now 0.15mm ally sheet, in fact there's hardly any of the original resin fuselage left, - in time I'll show the whole thing

there are some real problems with this kit - you may have noticed the tail planes are not in the same plane.....! etc etc.

Edited by KingK_series

Wonderful Simon !

The exact shape of the tail skid has long been a mystery to me, that image is such a help.

Thanks for sharing your work in progress, I don't mean to pressure you but I'm fascinated to see how you do with the kit.

It looks like you have really nailed the shape of the spinner.

Here are a few Photos of the He 51b that might inspire you.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/850/t4g5.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/580/mkec.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/16/txc3.jpg/

All the best,

Art

Guest KingK_series

Wonderful Simon !

The exact shape of the tail skid has long been a mystery to me, that image is such a help.

Thanks for sharing your work in progress, I don't mean to pressure you but I'm fascinated to see how you do with the kit.

It looks like you have really nailed the shape of the spinner.

Here are a few Photos of the He 51b that might inspire you.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/850/t4g5.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/580/mkec.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/16/txc3.jpg/

All the best,

Art

Thankyou so much Art! as ever!

here are the prop pics ;-

4645811_2_zpsd274b832.jpg

Edited by KingK_series

Guest KingK_series

Art

just had news that the cells behind the cockpit seat and underneath the fuselage is the bomb rack

- it's an Elvemag6 C10 IX containerised magazine for 6 SC10 bombs.

the He51 never had underwing racks -

tech drawings on the way from Berlin!

Guest Dekenba

Aircraft archive classics of WWII has side, top, bottom and front elevation plans for a He51B,plus a few photographs. The Luftwaffe Album also has several good clear photos.

Simon,

That's a fascinating bit of news about the bomb magazine, thank you very much your research .

I can't wait to see the technical drawings .

It is perhaps not surprising that there were a variety of propellors used on the He 51 when one considers how many different manufacturers there were .

According to Tony Wood and Bill Gunston in " Hitlers Luftwaffe " He 51s were manufactured by Ago, Erla, Fieseler and Arado as well as Heinkel of course .

Perhaps the Arado connection would explain the apparent use of some the same props on the Ar 68 .

It might also explain some other subtle shape differences such as the wheel spats .

I wonder if your Berlin contacts would have something to say about this ?

Thanks again,

Art

prop 4?

7585396072_f117434983_b_2_zpsed5c8851.jp

I can't help thinking that the above photo is of a He 49 actually .

Note the lack of oval air intakes on the engine front, the lack of oil cooler intake under the nose and the two small underside intakes in front of each of the leading spars of the floats.

The exhaust stacks are also much shorter than a typical Heinkel He 51 and the radiator seems to be of a somewhat different design, you might have play with the contrast a bit to see this.

Missing also is the small rear underside fin that is present on the He 51b.

Images of the He 49 seem to be very rare, these are the only ones that I have seen .

1d3y.jpg

pd67.jpg

Aaaand just to muddy the waters a bit here is a He 51b that seems to have a mixture of traits - short exhaust stubs - no underside fin - a small head rest .

Note the shape of the fin, it has a much steeper leading edge than typical He 51s, I wonder if the photo has been retouched ?

x692.jpg

Art

Guest KingK_series

I can't help thinking that the above photo is of a He 49 actually .

Note the lack of oval air intakes on the engine front, the lack of oil cooler intake under the nose and the two small underside intakes in front of each of the leading spars of the floats.

The exhaust stacks are also much shorter than a typical Heinkel He 51 and the radiator seems to be of a somewhat different design, you might have play with the contrast a bit to see this.

Missing also is the small rear underside fin that is present on the He 51b.

Images of the He 49 seem to be very rare, these are the only ones that I have seen .

1d3y.jpg

pd67.jpg

Aaaand just to muddy the waters a bit here is a He 51b that seems to have a mixture of traits - short exhaust stubs - no underside fin - a small head rest .

Note the shape of the fin, it has a much steeper leading edge than typical He 51s, I wonder if the photo has been retouched ?

x692.jpg

Art

Hah Art

brilliant -!

I had picked up on the differences in this pic - biggest to me is the difference in top engine cowling shape, but didn't realise there was such a thing as a HE49 - thankyou I've learn't something entirely new.

I included that pic with reference to the prop, and think you are entirely correct about outsourcing to a host of manufacturers, that was especially true of Junkers and JU87 B1 cowls particularly, but my particular interest in that pic was the float shape, which is pretty generic across Heinkel floatplanes - more on that subject later.

As fuel to the conversation - I do have pics of aircraft and in the manual of HE51's with headrests!

- it's a real pleasure discussing  an aircraft like this, thankyou for sharing your interest is serious research with me - !

pics coming

simon

Evenin' all,

All this talk of propellers got me digging around the interwebz last night looking for some sort of catalogue of Luftwaffe prop types.

I was hoping to see if we might more precisely identify some of the prop types and their manufacturers associated with the He 51 but I came up surprisingly empty handed.

I wonder if there are any Luftwaffe aficionados out there that might advise us on this matter ?

Art