Trumpeter F-105 questions

P-40

Besides my P-40N conversion I’m looking for something to do basically out of the box and probably the best candidate I have is the Trumpeter 105.

I would like to do a Thunderbird, I know there is or will be a conversion for the knows that I have a real reaction to resin so I was wondering how far off the nose is? I am not that picky about it being exact and this will only be for me, not for a contest or anything.

Is it possible or hard to paint over a foil finish?

I want to build it in flight with the landing gear up and have it on a post of some sort, anyone have any good ideas on how to do that? If it is a Thunderbird it will be easier, how would you do it with a camouflaged version with all of the bombs underneath?

I’m trying to decide whether this will be relatively easy enough to do or if I should go on to something else for now

The Tbirds used the B version as far as I know. That means the nose should be much shorter. hmm if you want to make it from scratch it will be a lot of work.

Look at airwar.ru for accurate plans of the B and D nose.

The color patern will be the next problem. I don't have any of them.

;)

The color patern will be the next problem. I don't have any of them.

There are decals out now or they should be shortly for the Thunderbirds. I have a few nice color photos of the 105 Thunderbird from both top and bottom if you would like them.

Brad,

The T-birds did use the -B version of the 105. It has more differences than just the nose, different canopy, fuselage sides, etc. PM me and I'll send along any info I have to help. B)

Regards

Itch

I was kind of afraid of that, is the D close enough? 99% of the people seeing my model wouldn’t even know what a 105 is much less if it was accurate, I would really like to see any of the information you have.

Brad,

have a bunch of intel on all the models of the 105 and that's including the line drawings of the B model.If u wish i can send u copy of it and then u can go from there in making a B T-Bird.That would be a wild paint job and if u feel u can pop the paint.I'll do it for u .Larry

Besides my P-40N conversion I’m looking for something to do basically out of the box and probably the best candidate I have is the Trumpeter 105.

I would like to do a Thunderbird, I know there is or will be a conversion for the knows that I have a real reaction to resin so I was wondering how far off the nose is? I am not that picky about it being exact and this will only be for me, not for a contest or anything.

I want to build it in flight with the landing gear up and have it on a post of some sort, anyone have any good ideas on how to do that? If it is a Thunderbird it will be easier, how would you do it with a camouflaged version with all of the bombs underneath?

I’m trying to decide whether this will be relatively easy enough to do or if I should go on to something else for now

Brad-

I have found the Scale Modeler issue w/ the P-40N article, but have lost your address- Please forward and I will send it out pronto!!

Lee

Brad,

The T-birds did use the -B version of the 105. It has more differences than just the nose, different canopy, fuselage sides, etc. PM me and I'll send along any info I have to help. ;)

Regards

Itch

I was kind of afraid of that, is the D close enough? 99% of the people seeing my model wouldn’t even know what a 105 is much less if it was accurate, I would really like to see any of the information you have.

Brad,

The -D really isn't that close enough to pass for a -B. Other than the nose the major hits are; no afterburner cooling scoops or stiffener plates, no electronic "tunnel" on the spine, small air intake at the base of the fin, different canopy glass, all round instrument panel (no tape type instruments) and the pitot tube relocated to the port wing tip. I'll PM a couple of pics to you. :lol:

Itch

I would like to do a Thunderbird, I know there is or will be a conversion for the knows that I have a real reaction to resin so I was wondering how far off the nose is?  I am not that picky about it being exact and this will only be for me, not for a contest or anything.

I want to build it in flight with the landing gear up and have it on a post of some sort, anyone have any good ideas on how to do that?  If it is a Thunderbird it will be easier, how would you do it with a camouflaged version with all of the bombs underneath?

Brad-

I have found the Scale Modeler issue w/ the P-40N article, but have lost your address- Please forward and I will send it out pronto!!

Lee

Thanks much, an e-mail is inbound.

Brad,

The T-birds did use the -B version of the 105. It has more differences than just the nose, different canopy, fuselage sides, etc. PM me and I'll send along any info I have to help. :)

Regards

Itch

Brad,

The -D really isn't that close enough to pass for a -B. Other than the nose the major hits are; no afterburner cooling scoops or stiffener plates, no electronic "tunnel" on the spine, small air intake at the base of the fin, different canopy glass, all round instrument panel (no tape type instruments) and the pitot tube relocated to the port wing tip. I'll PM a couple of pics to you. :)

Itch

I got your e-mail through the board but you noticed pictures don’t go through. I didn’t realize there were that many differences, I guess I’ll just have to decide which version to do now. It being off won’t bother me and that many people would see it anyway, I have the 1/18 P-40 which has some accuracy issues that I am just fine with that.

My biggest deciding factor will be if there are decals for it. I thought Cutting Edge had some but after looking at their catalog last night I couldn’t find them. Does anybody know if there are any available and who makes them?

I looked through it again the other day and I don’t remember seeing a pilot, is there one included and I am just missing it? If there isn’t one, where is a good place to get to a pilot, not resin, I want to do it in flight.

Brad

I thought Cutting Edge was making a resin -B nose for the Trump kit? It was also to include T-bird decals? I guess not. Of course you could always mask and paint, a large job I know, but would look good on that much bare metal. If you decide to go that route I have some scale drawings of the 105 T-bird scheme you could scale up and use. PM me your e-mail address and I'll forward what I have to you. :)

Cheers

Itch

I thought they were two and then maybe you could buy the decals separately but I couldn’t find either on their catalog. Most of their paint scheme would be fairly simple to lay out and I do have a couple color photos that your drawings would be a huge help. The hardest part would be the little blue stars on the tail services, I guess I could make some paper stencils for those. I have to track down a pilot figure and also figure out a way to mount it in flight, thinking of a rod in the afterburner, will need to figure out how to mount it and that I need to find those supplies. Nothing can ever be simple in this scale!