Revell Hurricane IIc

KallistiUK

Thanks guys for your kind words :)

Well I am pleased to say that the Gerry Anderson tribute build is all but finished so I'm back to the main event!The last photo in the previous post was of some of the small components to be put into the opening. Here they are again, with some extras and with some paint on:

DSCF7283.JPG

From the left there is the battery, the radio transmitter, the receiver (I think), oxygen bottle and in the front is the instruments that sit at the bottom of the framework. At the back is another small piece that will sit on the starboard side behind the radio transmitter. I don't have any good pictures of this piece so I'm going to use a bit of artistic licence on that.

I've also added some control wires that would be visible when these panels were open, using nylon "invisible" mending thread:

DSCF7284.JPG

yeah well great photo that, the invisible thread is um invisible... lets try it with the flash

DSCF7285.JPG

You get a better view in the full size version here

So back to some of the other parts. I shopped out the tail trim tab, then reattached it at a slight angle and added some wire to represent the actuators:

DSCF7279.JPG

I've also drilled out the slots in the rear of the fuselage where the tail actuator connectors emerge from the inside of the fuselage to connect to the tail. More wire will be used to represent them when the time comes to attach the tail. I've also cut out the trim tabs from the elevators and will do the same with them later.

Next, I've constructed the Volkes air filter that comes as an additional sprue in this kit. Its not a very good fit together but a bit of sanding sorted that out. I chopped out the blank front plate that is visible inside the filter inlet and replaced it with a bit of brass mesh:

DSCF7281.JPG

DSCF7282.JPG

So there we have it for tonight - a few bits but every bit is a step toward completion...

Neat and tidy work on the ancillaries. They're sure to look busy inside the open fuselage. Good stuff.

yeah well great photo that, the invisible thread is um invisible...

:lol:

Yep, that's the general idea......

So, are you planning to make it more visible within the structure?

Yes they will get some silver/metallic grey paint on them to make them more visible. I got a new CD today "The Hurricane Explored" by FlyingZone Publications which has some fantastic internal photos of the aras I'm interested in including a clearer version of the photos from the book posted earlier. They really are so much clearer so much so that I now realise that the orange "box" is in fact a wooden box! I';; need to repaint it to make it look more like wood :)

Today I've been adding some extra pipes and wires, using the new photos as guides, plus there is now primer on the inside of the fuselage and I've added some rib detail to the floor of the fuselage which is formed by the wing. I'll be adding photos later...

Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome :)

Big update over this weekend...
First off, I decided to further complicate matters when I realised that the pipes that served the underwing radiator will be partly visible in the open space...
DSCF7288.JPG
So lets start by cutting a hole in the wing where the radiator would be connected...
DSCF7286.JPG
of course the inside has had to be painted ahead of attaching it....
DSCF7287.JPG
The pipes are being represented by some electrical wire that is about the right diameter which will be painted metallic grey and shaped appropriately when the fuselage and wings are joined at some point in the near future
DSCF7289.JPG

So now the time has come to a) paint the cockpit B) assemble the components behind the cockpit. The cockpit got a coat of XF 71, while the fame behind got a metallic grey coat. Then came the very fiddly task of locating and connecting all the components:

DSCF7300.JPG

DSCF7301.JPG

Instrument panel:

DSCF7303.JPG

(larger version)

For this I used some excellent references plus the Airscale WW2 RAF Instrument dial decals plus some from the cockpit placards set. These are fantastic and add so much detail to the cockpit.

So how does this look inside the fuselage? Lets try it out...

DSCF7310.JPG

DSCF7311.JPG

DSCF7315.JPG

DSCF7309.JPG

DSCF7316.JPG

Hmmm okay thats not bad :)

I've now discovered that I appear to have lost the gun sight that came with the Grey Matter Figures resin set and also one of the things that isn't covered in this set is the inside of the emergency door, which has the metal pigeon hole thingy for orders plus another pouch and various handles etc. Looks like I'm going to have to do some more scratch building!

Next up as well will be some rescribing of panel lines, a job I'm really not looking forward to!

This week's update, rescribing and emergency exit door interior...

I finally got around to the job I wasn't really looking forward to - rescribing!

Wing topside:

DSCF7319.JPG

Underside:

DSCF7320.JPG

In fact it wasn't as difficult as I expected - I used a LOT of dymo tape, but only made a handful of small mistakes which were fixed with a drop of Mt Dissolved Putty.

The other item I realised was totally missing was the inside surface of the emergency escape door, plus the various map pockets on that side of the cockpit. The panel wsa simply a thin piece of plasticard, with some holes carefully shaped and with a wire behind to represent the locking mechanism, plus a pocket sculpted from some green stuff epoxy putty and a map case made from more thin plastic card, which was a tricky assembly as the plastic card side preferred to stick to the tweezers rather than each other!

DSCF7317.JPG

DSCF7322.JPG

It was only after I tried fitting the door to the inside that I realised I had made this first one upside down!! So another piece of plastic card was shaped and the fitting transferred! You can see this version fitted here:

DSCF7323.JPG

This has now been painted and last night I did some more intricate work on the cockpit, adding some wires and seat belts. I've also managed to find a spare gun sight in the spares box, left over from building my Tamiya IX a year or so ago - I used the newer gun sight in that model so had to older one left over! Phew! its a tiny thing and quite complicated so so I'm glad I didn't have to scratch it totally! I am having to scratch build the mounting to the instrument panel and the angled glass plate got swallowed by the carpet monster so that too had to be scratched. I'll post more photos of these stages later...

Your a brave man tackling the old kit.

I have lottsa Hurricane pix, hope your new CD has what you need.

Here's a few that might help a little:

starbside.jpg

cockpitdoor-1.jpg

185669_hurricane_emergency_air_bottle.jp

antennaeattach3.jpg

antennaeattach.jpg

I think the configuration of the things attached to the emergency door changed over time.

For the most comprehensive Revell Hurricane tweaks, see our own Radub's build from

2005 http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=6090&hl=%20hurricane,%20%20radub&page=1

Good luck and have fun.

Edited by MikeMaben