Airfix 1/24 Mustang IV

xmh53wrench

It is very big Grant 18 3/4" wingspan :blink:

Well I have had a lot going on this past week. The visit with the grandson is going great, and winding down. He and I put together a P-40 "quick build" kit, (I was not impressed with the kit), but we had fun doing it and he had fun playing with it afterwards, and flying around some balsa gliders as well. But tonight I thought I would do a bit of work on the wheel wells. Here is what I have gotten done so far.

IMAG1582.jpg

And a couple of the fuselage with the engine, temp fitted...

IMAG1583.jpg

IMAG1587.jpg

Also note, the flaps have been removed and will be reworked to be lowered.

Going well.I'll be interested in seeing what you do with the wheel wells (tough to get them right)

Thanks for looking in Jim, and I am mostly looking for "representative" I know enough to know that what Airfix gave us is garbage, but certainly dont know enough to get them "right".....I think this falls into that "enough knowledge to be dangerous" category. My plan is to get the structure close, and maybe add a few lines and fittings, and the 6 large lines that can be seen. And at the same time add some structure to both gun bays.

I agree, great start on the wheel wells. This is going to be one terrific bird.

Grant

Thanks again Grant...

Well I am chipping away at the wheel wells, but in the meantime, the engine is ready to go in. This kit I imagine in no way compares to the 1/32 of Tamiya and ZM, but I think for what you are going to see its not too bad. It goes together really nicely, the only hard part is getting that angle and position correct on that lower cradle, so I glued it in placed, but only dry fitted the engine in between the rest of the engine mount while it (the cradle) dried. Those guys that scratch the ignition harnesses and linkages in 1/32 are just way out of my league.

IMAG1595.jpg

IMAG1597.jpg

Guest Peterpools

Can't believe how naked and plain Jayne those wheel wells came. You sure have your work cut out. Looking forward to following along.

Peter

HAHAHA Grant, just about....

That's why I like throwing in the what-if and Air Racing versions, keeps them fresh. I am changing up my plans for the 1/24 I just got. I had originally started a 1/32 of the Bardahl Special P-51D circ. 1964, but now I am going to do it in 1/24....stay tuned and am seriously considering the seldom tried " B" conversion if I can score another one of these...... :-)

Difficult is my middle name.....just ask my wife

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Yours and mine could commisserate.

Actually I just came across someone who put together that exact conversion years ago. His name is Paul Budzik and if you go to his website, http://paulbudzik.com/, you'll find guidance on how he accomplished it. I think he is also an LSP member

Edited by Jim Starling