2012 IPMS Region 5 Convention

Out2gtcha

This contest is being held this Saturday the 19th a few hrs down the road from me in Kansas CIty.

My IPMS chapter is in Region 5 and since Ive attended and entered many many local and semi local IPMS events, as well as the NATs, I figured I take a drive down and enter this one since Ive never entered a regional contest.

Anyone close enough to go?

Im not sure what the turnout will be, but being a regional IPMS event, I think there will be a bigger turnout than say a local event, but im sure not like a NATs turnout.

I think Im going to drag the SU-30, September Fury, and the P-40 down to enter.

If anyone is thinking of going let me know, and we can meet up or hangout at the event since its at a Holiday Inn in the greater KC metro area.

Ill see what the turnout is, and see if I can bring back some pics.

Cheers,

Brian

To far for me to travel. Brian, if they announce next years show can you let us know?

thanks

Mike

NP Mike, will do. I think they already have some arrangements going but Ill letcha know once I know. :)

Cheers,

Brian

You're somewhat closer than me Brian, but I will sadly not be going, (again). Regionals that I've attended tend to be large, but as you guessed, not as large as the national event. Keep us posted, and good luck. I'm guessing that you'll do well.

So how did you do Brian?

SU is undefeated so far.........got first in 1/32 jet with it (although the IPMS "regional" trophy/plaque was way smaller and more unimpressive than almost any other local event plaque Ive gotten)

The P-40 again got no love and nothing (I think its just too dirty and weathered for IPMS judges) and September Fury took an honorable mention in the 1/32 props.

Set up was WAY weird...........no large tables, only a lot of small round tables that necessitated all the categories being split up on the tables..........speak of splits, there were NONE. Some categories had just a couple models in them and some had over 15.

The venue wasn't terrific either........it was at a Holiday Inn, were all the vendors, and all the contest tables were in ONE room together. It kinda sucked. Most definitely not worth the over 3 hr trip there and back, but live and learn i guess.

Cheers,

Brian

Congrats on the big win! Our invitational is set up much the same way; large space where vendors and contest area are separated by ropes. I like the arrangement, as it allows for easy viewing of what folks are doing at any given time. We too give out pretty lame looking awards, but our club budget is rather small, otherwise ours would be more impressive I suspect.

Congrats on the big win! Our invitational is set up much the same way; large space where vendors and contest area are separated by ropes. I like the arrangement, as it allows for easy viewing of what folks are doing at any given time. We too give out pretty lame looking awards, but our club budget is rather small, otherwise ours would be more impressive I suspect.

Thanks Kev. :)

Wasnt really the award setup that was an issue since I really didnt expect to win anythign at the regionals anyway, it was more the lack of splits in the catagorys where it was really needed.

Normally the vendors in the same room as the contest can work out good if in a large enough space, but in this specific case it felt quite closterphobic and chaotic when came time for judging and what not.

Was an interesting experiecne, and dont regret doing it.

Brian

One of the more bizarre, yet pleasant experiences I had while traveling regionally to compete, was a show where (unbeknownst to me), it was set up as a peoples choice award per category; no judging at all, just the participants and walk-ins.The reason I was pleased? Out of roughly forty aircraft models, (all scales), I was awarded first place.

Edited by Typhoonattack1

One of the more bizarre, yet pleasant experiences I had while traveling regionally to compete, was a show where (unbeknownst to me), it was set up as a peoples choice award per category; no judging at all, just the participants and walk-ins.The reason I was pleased? Out of roughly forty aircraft models, (all scales), I was awarded first place.

Nice!

Brian,

Did they announce the location of next years Region 5 convention?

Mike

Nothing definite that Ive heard. I think id be interesting if we hosted it but im not sure about a thing at this point.

Brian,

CONGRATS on your First prize...WELL DONE... :m0152:

Thanks Maru!

Cheers,

Brian