Jerry Rutman/Grey Matter Figures HS129

mouldman

Buy Tims' kit so he can make more cool stuff!

I have the Hs 129 here now, and it's worth every penny.

GMF have done a great job with your masters. I'm going to take a proper look at this later, with a nice glass of vino. That's MY evening sorted!

My kit is currently flying over the Atlantic. The moulding looks beautiful and I can't wait to start the kit. There is one thing I notice when I look through the photo of the small parts. I do not see the ETC bomb racks for under the wings that all the B-1s and B-2s carried. This was a feature that surprised me when I first read the Classic Hs129 book. They are in all the profiles in the book. I am not nitpicking. Its not a big deal, I am sure I can steal some from another kit but are they included or not?

Am I too late to get one of these? This us one of my favorite planes and now in 32nd! I'm in.

I'm sure you're not, just go to the Grey Matters website and place your order when it gets put up :) Right now I believe they are still going through the pre-orders, but once that is done, I'm sure they will put in on their website: Grey Matters Of course if you can't wait, there are instructions on the main page of the website that might help speed things up for you.

Doug

(who has an E93)

My kit is currently flying over the Atlantic. The moulding looks beautiful and I can't wait to start the kit. There is one thing I notice when I look through the photo of the small parts. I do not see the ETC bomb racks for under the wings that all the B-1s and B-2s carried. This was a feature that surprised me when I first read the Classic Hs129 book. They are in all the profiles in the book. I am not nitpicking. Its not a big deal, I am sure I can steal some from another kit but are they included or not?

The etc71's are not included as I never saw a profile or pic with them attached to the tank busters with the 30mm gun in the ventral rack. Of course I could have missed it as I never claimed to be perfect! LOL If you need them there are some available in resin from other makers and there are also some in the old FW190F-8 kits in 1/32 and in the stuka kits.

I had contemplated making the straight bomber version of the B2 but as there was absolutely zero interest,I never proceeded. I did make some resin anti personel/sub munition bombs with this in mind. There were also versions with multiple MG's under the belly,etc. There are so many variations of this plane to make if you look at all the cammo patterns and rustsatze that Tim could keep selling these till kingdom come(I hope he does) LOL

Unfortunately, I believe DDavis is correct. A quick page through the Classic Hs129 book shows several 30mm cannon armed aircraft with ETC racks on the wings, as well as some without. At least one of the decal options "J" does require them (I did not check out any of the other decal options) so they will be needed :)

Doug

I've been gathering reference over the last couple of days.

5 books encounting. Pitty there isn't a complete surviving specimen.

I just love this plane. Underpowered. Ugly. Just the way I like 'm!

Cheers,

Jeroen

I just had to get one of these. I have fond memories of the old 1:72 Airfix kit!

I published our review today. I'm just wondering whether to sneak it into my build schedules for 2012.

I just had to get one of these. I have fond memories of the old 1:72 Airfix kit!

I published our review today. I'm just wondering whether to sneak it into my build schedules for 2012.

Great review James. The macro shots show promising detail.

I've been gathering reference over the last couple of days.

5 books encounting. Pitty there isn't a complete surviving specimen.

Hope you got the Mushroom book, which after the Classic Publications Panzerjager! - there's one in new condition on Amazon for only £610.99 - is the best Hs 129 book imho.

Edited by Kagemusha

What was cool about this aircraft was the length that the designers went to in order to protect the pilot. The entire nose was welded steel and the back armour was something to see as well. The windscreen was enormously thick. Very claustrophobic to be in though. When the pilot got strapped in,the back armour was then tilted forward and so the poor sod had about 6 inches from his face to the gunsite and the armor right behind his brain pan. I know I couldn't take it. Too close for me.

They gave this plane to Henschel to build as they figured that Hs knew about heavy metal,having produced locomotives,etc,before the war. Underpowered? Certainly with the Argus engined version,but not later. I don't know if that is so important for a ground attack bird. Consider the A-10,it won't break any sound barriers.Ground attack depends on local air superiority.

J

The etc71's are not included as I never saw a profile or pic with them attached to the tank busters with the 30mm gun in the ventral rack. Of course I could have missed it as I never claimed to be perfect! LOL If you need them there are some available in resin from other makers and there are also some in the old FW190F-8 kits in 1/32 and in the stuka kits.

I had contemplated making the straight bomber version of the B2 but as there was absolutely zero interest,I never proceeded. I did make some resin anti personel/sub munition bombs with this in mind. There were also versions with multiple MG's under the belly,etc. There are so many variations of this plane to make if you look at all the cammo patterns and rustsatze that Tim could keep selling these till kingdom come(I hope he does) LOL

Jerry

I am not worried about finding a set of racks. The Hasegawa FW190F has some or I can use them as masters. They aren't very complex. You are right that there is a long list of things that can be attached to an Hs129. Don't apologize for a great kit. I was seeking clarification and not criticizing .

Del

Excellent review James, very helpful with lots of excellent photographs that really show the detail of the parts.

Doug

I just read James' review and it is very nice. Thank you for the kind words. I had not looked at the kit in a long time,other than to inventory the parts so it was like seeing an old friend. The casting,once again,is just freekin awesome. I made the correct move in selling my baby to Tim.

This was good for me to see as I was feeling pretty down on my abilities lately and it showed me that my kit wasn't all that bad.

Buy Tims'stuff people! He can then afford to buy other masters like Loics' DB engine! It's all good for the modeler.

J