XP-82 Twin Mustang

foiler

You folks are really special! Thanks to everyone for the kind words! I took the XP to the Jacksonville IPMS meet today and it got a silver medal. Knowing that the cockpit, gear, and engine details are non-existent, I felt honored that it did that well. Your comments, and the reception in JAX have given me the courage to mold more parts and make a "C" (black night-fighter) version next. Barry is going to make one too, so maybe we'll have 2 at the Columbia, SC meet in April! I'll bet his will be better though.......

Thanks again, I really do appreciate you thoughts!

Ken

P.S. Brian, it looks better in the pictures than it does in real life. Your recent demostrations of foiling skills have taught us all what much younger hands can accomplish with the right tools. And, BTW there were 6 foiled model in JAX other than mine, all nicely done; they're learning!!

Edited by foiler

• 2 weeks later...

You folks are really special! Thanks to everyone for the kind words! I took the XP to the Jacksonville IPMS meet today and it got a silver medal. Knowing that the cockpit, gear, and engine details are non-existent, I felt honored that it did that well. Your comments, and the reception in JAX have given me the courage to mold more parts and make a "C" (black night-fighter) version next. Barry is going to make one too, so maybe we'll have 2 at the Columbia, SC meet in April! I'll bet his will be better though.......

Hi Ken,

This is more a brainfart than anything else, but since you went to all that work to create F-82 drawings from scratch, have you been keeping up with developments in 3-D fabrication technology? i'm not sure if the level of sophistication is quite there yet, but given all the "Heavy Lifting" you did on the F-82 Shapes, i was wondering if a forthcoming "MK II" version of the kit might be making use of some newer technology. I'd imagine its a lot easier to correct errors, once you identify exactly where they are. Perhaps its not the direction you want to go in, but it seems like it would be a great way to fully exploit your efforts.

Purely speculative,

david

Edited by LSP_Kevin
Fixed quoting issues.

Hi Ken,

This is more a brainfart than anything else, but since you went to all that work to create F-82 drawings from scratch, have you been keeping up with developments in 3-D fabrication technology? i'm not sure if the level of sophistication is quite there yet, but given all the "Heavy Lifting" you did on the F-82 Shapes, i was wondering if a forthcoming "MK II" version of the kit might be making use of some newer technology. I'd imagine its a lot easier to correct errors, once you identify exactly where they are. Perhaps its not the direction you want to go in, but it seems like it would be a great way to fully exploit your efforts.

Purely speculative,

david

Hi David,

In another life I was a CAD/CAM/CAE Systems Administrator, and am an avid fan of the "art-to-part" concept. I am currently working on a 1/350 scale Normandie ship model with a partner and have had the 3 foot long hull 3D printed. I would love to do the Twin Mustang in the same technology, but am retired now, and simply cannot afford the process (he can). I was secretly hoping that one of the major manufacturers would get the hint about modeler's desires for a good rendition of this historic aircraft and make us a good injection molded model. Seems to me the 2 restorations that are going on would be a prime source for getting the right info. Plus, all the original North American Aviation drawings are available!

Thanks for thinking of me, and who knows, maybe I will hit the lottery one day and be able to do as you suggest! :)

Ken

Hi David,

I was secretly hoping that one of the major manufacturers would get the hint about modeler's desires for a good rendition of this historic aircraft and make us a good injection molded model. Seems to me the 2 restorations that are going on would be a prime source for getting the right info. Plus, all the original North American Aviation drawings are available!

Hey Ken,

Not only one, but two completed F-82 restorations may provide the requisite "Spark" to ignite some interest in this subject. Korean War aircraft have been represented somewhat unevenly. F-86es, MiG-15s and more recently F-84s getting plenty of love. Not so much with F-82s, F-94s, F3Ds and F4U-4s

d-bot

Edited by LSP_Kevin
Fixed quoting issues

• 3 weeks later...