A Mustang Question

Silver Dollar

Hello Im new to this forum, and this is my first post. Never say never or always and no I dont think research is a waste of time,because it usually uncovers an exception or two, I would still like to see a puttied painted wing on a P51D, Ive seen plenty of polished NMF as on the Hendon one.

Hello Im new to this forum, and this is my first post. Never say never or always and no I dont think research is a waste of time,because it usually uncovers an exception or two, I would still like to see a puttied painted wing on a P51D, Ive seen plenty of polished NMF as on the Hendon one.

Hi Wayne,

If you're referring to warbirds, many of the more recent restorations feature accurate wing finishes. The P-51D-20-NA in Paul Allen's Flying Heritage Collection is a particularly nice example.

http://www.flyingher...px?contentId=13

Here's my interpretation of the finish in 1/32nd....

B7-M_port_upperqtr_resized.jpg

SweetThingIVoverhead.jpg

I have a recorded interview with Bud Anderson who stated that the paint they kept on the mustangs in the summer was stripped off in fall/winter because silver was better suited to winter ops than the dark green. He further stated that on one occasion his ground crew did it in one night; they washed it down with gasoline. Not definitive by any means but based on my years of aviation experience, I'd say the silver paint on the wings suffered as a result of this practice.

I have a recorded interview with Bud Anderson who stated that the paint they kept on the mustangs in the summer was stripped off in fall/winter because silver was better suited to winter ops than the dark green. He further stated that on one occasion his ground crew did it in one night; they washed it down with gasoline. Not definitive by any means but based on my years of aviation experience, I'd say the silver paint on the wings suffered as a result of this practice.

Remember though that there was a lot more than just a coat of silver paint. There were layers of putty, smoother, several coats of primer and a coat of silver paint, all under Old Crow's coat of Dark Green. If they just stripped the two coats of silver and green paint, the wings would be anything but silver. To get them silver, they would have to have stripped all those layers of surfacer and primer and dug the putty out from between the joints. It's possible, but that's a lot of work for one night.

More to the point, check out the wing's finish in this post-stripping photo....

anderson9.jpg

You can still see the remains of the white theater ID stripe from the dark green scheme, as well as some black from the ID stripe that would have been applied at Warton before delivery to the 357th. The photo indicates that the crew did a quick strip of the dark green and, beyond that, left the finish as is.

Brent

Edited by BrentE

My input was simply done to alert people to the possibility that there were some airframes, which had their paint covering removed. I have never said (nor would I, since I don't know) how widespread it was, and fully recognise that an individual can take, or ignore, anything I say.

Edgar

Edited by Edgar Brooks

Figure I'll jump in here with an actual question (no comments on the appropriateness of comments so far).

I've seen it mentioned that post-war Mustangs after an overhaul may have lost the factory wing treatment. I am getting started on a Tamiya kit I plan to do as Israeli Air Force, 1948-9. Given that these were purchased and disassembled in the US, smuggled in as farm equipment, then rebuilt and sent into action in a hurry, I'm guessing the wings were not re-puttied and painted. Does that sound right to you all?

Thanks!

Michael

I've seen it mentioned that post-war Mustangs after an overhaul may have lost the factory wing treatment. I am getting started on a Tamiya kit I plan to do as Israeli Air Force, 1948-9. Given that these were purchased and disassembled in the US, smuggled in as farm equipment, then rebuilt and sent into action in a hurry, I'm guessing the wings were not re-puttied and painted. Does that sound right to you all?

The short answer is, unless you have a nice clear photo that proves it one way or the other, there is simply no way to know. Any theory is as good as any other theory. Now, just because an airplane was "rebuilt" doesn't really prove anything. Many Mustangs from later production batches went straight from the factory into storage. Some eventually went to the National Guard/ANG, some to overseas air forces, and some to active service in Korea. I've seen plenty of Korea-era photos of USAF and foreign Mustangs with clearly factory (or factory-like) wing finishes. I don't believe there was any widespread stripping of wings for no good reason. Certainly, airplanes with service histories *did* get so treated, but in alllllllll the Mustang photos I've looked at, I just simply don't see the evidence for widespread use of totally stripped wings.

So the IDF airplanes could have gone either way.

I got my Tamiya Mustang ordered, it should be with me midweek, along with an eduard set for the engine,kits world decals for Weavers bird, 2 options. Im not sure which Im going for the OD with the blonde named passion wagon or the NMF with the brunette. My wife is brunette so I might have to go with that one. I hope the chequerboard will fit round the tamiya cowl. I hate the idea of filling in the rivets and panel lines because they look so well done on pics that I have seen. I may leave them alone or tone them down with coats of primer and wet and dry. Im phoning up ADH tomo to get the Brett Green book so I will consult that, along with the sqn Mustang in Action book that is coming with the Kit. Any ideas on good reference books esp for the engine wiring etc.so christmas is coming early for me this year the best pressies are always the ones I get myself

The short answer is, unless you have a nice clear photo that proves it one way or the other, there is simply no way to know. Any theory is as good as any other theory. Now, just because an airplane was "rebuilt" doesn't really prove anything. Many Mustangs from later production batches went straight from the factory into storage. Some eventually went to the National Guard/ANG, some to overseas air forces, and some to active service in Korea. I've seen plenty of Korea-era photos of USAF and foreign Mustangs with clearly factory (or factory-like) wing finishes. I don't believe there was any widespread stripping of wings for no good reason. Certainly, airplanes with service histories *did* get so treated, but in alllllllll the Mustang photos I've looked at, I just simply don't see the evidence for widespread use of totally stripped wings.

So the IDF airplanes could have gone either way.

Hi guys,

I agree that there is no widespread evidence of wing stripping. There also is no reason that the IDF would spend time detailing a three to five year old airplane's sheet metal surface finish.

The overhauls would be directed towards operational systems such as an engine condition inspection and overhaul if necessary, airplane's oil and fuel systems, hydraulic, wheels/tires and brakes, electrical, armament control, etc. The airplane's surfaces would also be inspected for damage, no doubt, like dings and dents. Any structural wrinkles in flight controls would probably be addressed be a specific group of sheet metal mech's that did repairs of that nature. Or a spare component would be installed. The mainplane would most likely have been inspected for any damage, and re-mated with it's fuselage and been reassembled to become airworthy as soon as it could be possibly done. No time would be spent removing NAA wing streamlining putty and paint. Rough stuff may have been feather sanded in preparation for a flat and rough camo job.

Angelo Regina's P-51D recovered from a kibutz in Isreal had it's putty when it showed up in Van Nuys 40 years after it was built in Inglewood. After it's AAF, SAF and IAF service and then sitting in the playground, it still had the putty. No one on the resto crew indicated it was very easy to strip off either.

Chris...