What uniforms did Arado crew on ships wear?

Bill Cross

Looking at manning my Arado-196 build, and would like to know if the flight crew (NOT the pilot) were Luftwaffe or Kriegsmarine personnel? And if KM, how did their flight deck uniforms differ from LW personnel?

Thanks in advance.

Hi Bill,

Essentially, all aircrew and aircraft belonged to the Luftwaffe and not the Kriegsmarine.

However, it was not uncommon for the Beobachter(Observer) carried in an embarked Ar 196 to be a member of the Kriegsmarine and there are even some instances of a Kriegsmarine rather than Luftwaffe pilot.

I'm not sure what markings you will be using but if from the Bismarck these are the four embarked Ar 196s and their crews of the 1./196 who were lost when she was sunk on 27 May 1941:

Ar 196A-2 WNr.0052, coded T3+IH (White 'I'), Ltn. Günter Lademann (observer)/ Uffz. Ernst Lange (pilot).

Ar 196A-2 WNr.0110, coded T3+AK (Red 'A'), Ltn. Rolf Hambruch, (observer)/ Fw. Oskar Andersen (pilot)

Ar 196A-2 WNr.0123, coded T3+DL (Yellow 'D'), Oblt. Siegfried Mühling, (observer)/ Fw. Josef Kemple (pilot).

Ar 196A-3 WNr.0150, coded T3+MK, Ltn. Martin Lange (Red 'M'), (observer)/ Fw. Werner Seelinger, (pilot).

As far as uniforms worn by Ar 196 crews they would range from standard uniform to flying suits and (like most other wartime air forces) anything in between, depending of course on their operational theatre. I have numerous photos of the crews of these aircraft and their dress is anything but standard.

HTH

Dave

Edited by Dave Wadman

Dave, that's very helpful information. In looking at my original post, I see that I incorrectly stated "flight crew" when I'm actually looking at the GROUND crew (the grunts pushing the catapult or tending to the plane's needs). I presume they were KG sailors, and I'm trying to see if the ZM ground crew set can be modified or simply re-painted to be working on an Arado 196. Sorry for the confusion I caused by my being so imprecise. :sorry:

Hi Bill,

From the info that I have here from original documents regarding aircraft emabarked on Kriegsmarine ships, the support staff/ground crew for the aircraft (engine & airframe) were Luftwaffe personnel although they also indicate that radio and weapons needs would be attended to by KM personnel from the respective ships departments.

HTH

Cheers

Dave