Tamyia A6M5 Zero,Genzan Group

miamiangler

Hello Everyone ,

Since I took off from working on my Arado 196 due to wind sheld problem . I decided to start up my Zero build that I started back in 2001 and has been collecting dust in a corner . It took a while to figure out where I left off but in two weeks I made some progress :).On this build I used the BIG ED set from Eduard and all three CMK sets for the zero .

First few pics are where I left off 10years ago .

The engine with all the Eduard add ons

willie022.jpg

willie023.jpg

here`s the A/C with all the dust cleaned off

williejapan003.jpg

wheel wells with the CKM resin parts installed

williejapan007.jpg

Here`s the Flap detail with the Eduard set . I did not use the Tamyia flaps with all the mold marks in them I will be using the ones From CMK which will be installed later .

williejapan006.jpg

Here are some of the cockpit shots which are not the best my only worry is the masks have been on for years and I hope they will come off with out any problems I guess time will tell !

williejapan008.jpg

williejapan010.jpg

williejapan013.jpg

The only change I have done to the cocpit is changing the seat to the CMK one which I did yesterday because it had the seat belts molded with it which looked better then the Eduard or the Tamyia ones .I just did not take any pic`s of the seat yet ;

Willi

Edited by miamiangler

Well this is an A/C I wanted to do for a very long time but could not find any photo`s of this Zero that`s why it sat around for that many years . There`s only so many zeros you can do in the greens and grays so I just say go with it and this is where I am now. Monex masks makes a set of Masks for this A/C but I decided to do it the hard way I used my blue tape and hand painting which took me a good two days of hell :). I used the Wings Palette Aircraft as a guide .

But first i had to mix the trainer orange which was orange and red from Tamiya one of my favorate paints to use ;) the color I mixed is close to FS 21400.

You saw the before pic here`s the after .

williejapan015.jpg

This color is very translucent so it takes a few coats but first I used pains gray oil color and wiped the whole planes so all the detail would show .if I would have done a preshade it would have shown as dark lines . The only mask I did use from Eduard was for the bottom wing the rest are all going to be decals . here`s the bottom of the A/C cleaned up .

williejapan016.jpg

williejapan014.jpg

The next few photo`s are of the zero with the three different greens after I preshaded the top half and added the decals

FtLauderdaleSFHCarlos059.jpg

FtLauderdaleSFHCarlos058.jpg

FtLauderdaleSFHCarlos060.jpg

This is what took me two days of hell to do and boy I`m glad it`s over :)

williejapan020.jpg

You may have noticed that I have the lower tail cut out , I want to show the tail wheel detail and some of the access hatches on the wings .

Hope you enjoy the photo`s .there will be more to come in the near future :)

Willi

Edited by miamiangler

Thanks big Matt ,

I know we`ve been talking about this for awhile but I do like the color combo . I have all ways like doing colorful aircraft and this Zero fits the bill.

Thanks Tomek ,

I just want to get some of my builds out of the way so I can start a paper project .It won`t be as awesome as Big Matts but I got to start somewhere . I`m glad you like what I have done so far .

Thanks Marus5137 ,

I did that engine so long ago can`t remember how I got the rust stains on the exhust ,But I still have to put some plumbing on the rear of the engine even if it wont be seen .

I still think this is one of the best kits Tamyia has done it goes together very nice .Just the landing gear is a little fiddly. I might even get the A6M2 next .

drat..I was gonna do that scheme as well!

Looks great however, did you scratch build the tail area or use a conversion kit?

Hi Shawn,

Go ahead with it :).I think Planes with color are Cool :) It would be great to see what you come up with it :) I have wanted to do this scheme way back when I first started building this Zero . First saw it in my Flying colors book along with about a hundred others I want to build from the drawings . Monex makes a mask for it but didn`t want to spend 19 bucks at this time . it would have saved lots of time Of course! Since I used the CMK sets that`s why the hatches are open and the tail wheel will show . I used the exterior set #5001

Willi

Edited by miamiangler