English Electric Lightning F6

Butler

Thanks Iain

I've just added a post to your Lightning thread - the only thing on this plane i think i'll struggle with is the canopy, and it looks like you'll have one available for sale at some point in the future! :)

Bit more progress with this one.

Here's a plan i've been using for panel lines and such. This is a plan i've produced in CAD by tracing over various versions you can find through Google, plus actual photos of the real thing. I'm sure there's plenty of inaccuracy here but it's fine for my purposes! Once drawn i scaled the plan to match the actual model size.

Where are the missing bits of paper?.....

DSCN1292.jpg

...stuck to the model! I've cut these straight out of paper, then stuck them over a wet layer of Klear. Once in place i then brush more Klear over the top and periodically 'baste' the paper in more Klear until it's saturated.

Next day when it's bone dry, i sand back the surface to give a mirror smooth finish which should take paint fine.

You can see the Kleared bits in the photo :)

DSCN1288.jpg

This one shows some panel lines i've added in pencil for reference. A layer of Klear over the top of the pencil line stops the shine of the graphite and they just look black without the worry of ink bleeding through paint later.

There's a child's scale model in the background, sorry!

DSCN1291.jpg

...stuck to the model! I've cut these straight out of paper, then stuck them over a wet layer of Klear. Once in place i then brush more Klear over the top and periodically 'baste' the paper in more Klear until it's saturated.

That is one of the most wicked ideas for the panel lines I've ever heard. Brilliant!

:blowup:

Edited by Tomek