Robert Starr Bumble Bee II

Alfredo Rubio

Hi guys, some days ago, while a search in the web, I found this forum, just becasue here are a picture of Starr plane. That thread inspired to me to build my own model.

The plane is from my own 3 views, and is build from cardstock and balsa wood, today I build all the general frame, latter the landing gear, prop and paint.

Cheers.

Al

bb2021.jpg

Great subject. Would not have liked to have been the pilot tasked with taking that up for a test flight.

Eric.

Thanks Eric, you are right, to be the test pilot could bee a dificult work, but the fact is that the builder /pilot is the only pilot that flew small airplanes since 1949!!! he was the test pilot of Stits Junior, Sky Baby, BB 1 and BB 2, and when he flew the BB 2 was 64 years old!!! sadly the plane crashed for an engine failure, but Starr survived.

Cheers.

Al

With an sepcial dedication to Peter :D here some new pics.

The plane now has landing gear, the tail wheel maybe is some large, maybe the leg will be short, and the main wheels are from balsa wood.

The prop hub is from plastic, and the blades from cardstock, painted in metal and the plane in yellow, only the cockpit needs some color and the numbers in tail.

Cheers.

Al

bb2fuse001.jpg

bb2fuse002.jpg

bb2fuse003.jpg

bb2fuselage011.jpg

bb2fuselage012.jpg

bb2fuselage013.jpg

bb2fuselage014.jpg

It is great seeing the old way of making models, again.

Bully for you! :speak_cool:

All wood, solid wood cockpit, imaginatively creative.

Good work! :clap2:

Stephen

Ssculptor, thanks for your kind words, I glad you like it, the model was built with cardstock, the fuselage and wings. The balsa wood where used in cockpit and turtle deck, cowling cilinders fairings and main wheels :D but this model is easy to build in all wood, just because the BB II has not tricky curves...all is straight and in angle.

Cheers.

Al

Edited by Alfredo Rubio

The model now has the oil airintake... and yesterday I build an BB I, from the kit of papermodelers.com, almost 1/32, this model was modified, with an "metal" prop, just because the real thing flew with one, the wood model was used for display in museum.

Cheers.

Al

bb2fuse022.jpg

bb2fuse025.jpg

bb2fuse026.jpg

bb2fuse027.jpg