Henschel Hs 129B-2: DONE!!! (Now with more pics!)

Thanks, Kai!

Actually, it's even better, now. But more on that in a bit. ;)

I'm actually done, now. But, here's a few more of the progress shots on some of the smaller parts.

First, I made the ETC 50 bomb racks from copper channel metal and scraps of styrene. Then, I attached the SC 50 bombs from the Eduard set, before priming and painting them.

20140602_225521_zps5adb243c.jpg

20140603_213956_zps5ddb2365.jpg

I set the bombs aside until later and moved on to mounting the exhaust, engines and cowls. The exhaust collector rings in the kit didn't seem to fit the way that I wanted them to and to avoid a ton of time in trying to sand/fit them, I cheated by cutting out the sections where the exhaust pipes extend from. I used the stubs to attach to the front of aluminum tubing for the pipes. I also added the retention straps to the pipes with strips of styrene. The collector rings really can't be seen once the cowl is on, except if you look at just the right angle from underneath, on the sides of the nacelles.....with a flashlight. :P I thought about leaving them off, altogether. However, there is the possibility that the engines could be back-lit at certain angles if they're not in place, so I didn't want to risk that.

20140602_161848_zps8313a9dc.jpg

20140602_170320_zpsa9c59f11.jpg

One of the other final touches was to add the flap/aileron hinges. There are twelve in total and they're pretty fragile. However, I actually managed to cut all of them out and install them without damaging (or even dropping!) a single one.

20140603_000910_zps21748d5c.jpg

20140603_002046_zps121d77ce.jpg

After those were painted, I only had the small bits left to add. One thing that I did not see in my kit was the retractable step that would be hanging down behind the port wing with the plane on the ground. I used brass tubing and styrene to make one, using photos from my books as a guide.

20140604_002748_zps3f0ec8dc.jpg

After that was painted and installed, I called it done. I'll post a few low quality pics I took in just a minute. I'm hoping to get outside for some better shots in the next day or two.

John

Fantastic work John! It really looks the part. Hopefully one of the guys will post your finished photos in the gallery soon.

Kev

Thanks, Kevin. Hopefully they'll give me a few more minutes to post the better pics. I just came back from "the sandbox". :coolio:

You've done Jerry Rutman's masterpiece proud, I can almost taste the sand in my mouth... 

Thanks! You'll really like the pics I just took then. ;)

Thanks for mentioning Jerry, as well. I have to give him another HUGE thank you for this one. This was a very challenging build. I've said in the past that I really don't like building models, but love to paint/finish them. This one, as difficult as it was in some spots, wasn't like that. I can honestly say that I thoroughly enjoyed building it. In fact, it was a real treat and helped me to stretch my creativity and skills quite a bit. Not to mention that you're probably not going to see another 129 in this scale in the near future. Once again, Jerry pulled through for us. THANK YOU, JERRY!!!!! :bow: :bow: :bow:

Sincerely,

John

Edited by mywifehatesmodels