0.50 cal ammo in 1/24 scale

G'day fellas,

just thought I'd see if anyone out there has suggestions on how to recreate .50 cal ammo belts in 1/24 scale? I'm building a Trumpeter P51 at the moment, and my early attempt at the ammo belt employs the following method:

each round of ammo is actually a short section of copper wire, turned at high speed in a rotary tool or drill, so the tip of the wire piece is essentially sharpened on sandpaper, then cut to length. See below right for basic result of this method. It'd look good if I was trying to recreate cannon shells, but 0.50 cal ammo is quite different in shape to cannon ammo, I believe.

The shape I need to create is below left.... any thoughts?

Thanks,

Ango.

post-2-1098154358_thumb.jpg

Ango,

This can be of some help. Some years ago a friend of mine faced the same problem to turn ammo shells in 1/72 for his dioramas. In the end, he contracted a jeweller to do the job for him in brass using a micro-lathe. The pic below shows the result for a 88 mm shell. He also made some 40 mm shells, which I believe will be about the same size of a .50" ammo in 1/24.

I also know a company which manufactures .50 ammo rounds in 1/35. They are turned individually, with PE belt links. Unbelievable, but I can´t find the site right now

Just my 2 cents.

post-2-1098158434_thumb.jpg

Mission Models is the one that has the 1/35th 0.50 cal shells. (www.missionmodels.com)

I was wondering if their other offering might work - 20mm shells. They just might work for 0.50 cal in 1/24th:

MM_05_3.jpg

I can't find right now if they offer full shells, but even the empties would be of use, you could put your own bullets into them.?!!

G'day Ango, these may help. They are called "uninsulated bootlace pins"

we sparkies use them for making off loose wire ends. They come in various lengths and diameters, from about .5mm up to about 2.5mm in bore. And as mentioned in various lengths. They look great as spent shells. And as Ray has said you may be able to insert some wire into them to make them look like live ammo. Get hold of one of your local engineering electrical wholesalers, and they should carry them. If not drop me a line, and I will send you some snail mail. The ones pictured below are 0.5mm in bore and 5mm in length. If I have the math right, that means the shell is 12mm in bore and 120mm in length. HTH Cheers Jim

PIC00003.jpg

Thanks fellas....all comments are much appreciated, and food for thought.

Jimbo, I might have a look at some elctrical wholesalers, as this does appear to be the easiest, yet most accurate way of simulating the ammo. Here's to the sparkies!

I always knew I could count on the LSPers for advice!

Cheers,

Ango.

No worries Ango, you might want to check out this site too. Hit the link and it should take you to their review page.Scroll down and have a look. Everything is in 1/35. But I reckon if you could use a larger calibre round at 1/24 it would look AOK. Just another arrow mate. Take care. Jim :D http://pmms.webace.com.au/reviews/vehicles/revafv.htm

No worries Ango, you might want to check out this site too. Hit the link and it should take you to their review page.Scroll down and have a look. Everything is in 1/35. But I reckon if you could use a larger calibre round at 1/24 it would look AOK. Just another arrow mate. Take care. Jim :D http://pmms.webace.com.au/reviews/vehicles/revafv.htm