RLM 65 Fw 190A3

Ads

I don't know who wrote that little essay, especially on late war RLM colour tones. I think it was the guy from South Africa who's name I cannot remember right now...

...he once wrote something like "stop worrying about the right shade and start painting your model with the paint you are comfortable with".

That sums it up for me, as it is pretty hard to proof if your shade of RLMwhatever is a shade to light or a little too blueish.

I don't know who wrote that little essay, especially on late war RLM colour tones. I think it was the guy from South Africa who's name I cannot remember right now...

It was no other than PietWdv from LSP. Awesome modeller, good guy and heaps of laughs. Loves dioramas! :evil_laugh:

Cheers Matty

So in the end i went with Xtracrylix acrylic paint - the blueish RLM 65 first - then some of the slightly lighter but same -ish colour RLM 76 - then for my own shade of diluted lighter RL 76 with lots of thinner and some drops of RLM 65 in there - complete with MIG pigments cold grey wash in the panels - here it is so far

PIC_0584-1.jpg

so all's well that ends well - thanks to the guys who did help - i never wanted to re-create history - but didnt want to re-write it either - so thanks to all who helped me make up my OWN mind - Just saying "youll never get it" doesnt really do it for me

Ads

Ads, The xtra is some good stuff, and once you've base coated, preshaded, or what ever, the color can still be pushed or pulled by adjusting your paint mix. I tend to use enamels, and humbrol,MM, and xtracolor is all I be using. I get too confused otherwise.

I agree - spray it thin and if it doesnt clogg its pretty nice stuff - i may have to put the RLM 74 on with enamels - so i guess ill have to do the clear varnish or future first?

Ads

Edited by Ads

Just saw this- If you are using xtra-color, it should be a semi-gloss out of the can. I have added a few drops of acetone to my mix, which tightens up, and dries the paint faster. You can always spray future on after for a decal base.