RLM 65 Fw 190A3

Ads

Hey Cats!

Iam "doin" my kit of the Fw 190A3 "Black 13" (not seen that one before eh?) and am at the first coat of paint after primer, i have a few variations of RLM 65 and want to get it in one or as close to it and stick to it if i can. I was hoping to use som Vallejo Model air as i can get it easy from my LHS (yeah modelzone)

what do you guys use?

i have a picture of a few next to a reference pic from a book which yes yes i know printing and pictures and all that blah blah - and dont give me any "just use what you thonk is right" as i will do that when i make my decision at the end - i would like to get it right the first time if i can

rlm652.jpg

And a few pictures i have taken (admittedly of later marque 190's

rlm653.jpg

rlm651.jpg

I have looked around the 'tinternet but would like some of your opinions

if you have any pics of your kits id be appreciateive - thanks guys!:speak_cool:

Ads

yes i like the extra colour enamels - a bit more clean up - ok mikester ill give em a bash - thanks to you and Kevin - if anyone else has anything to "Chip in" i am willing to listen as well

Ads

So i thought i would test the Xtracrylix enamel and the Acrylic - and have a look!

RLM654.jpg

On the left of the poor old ME 262 test plane is the Acrylic and the Enamel is the right colour - if you cant see it here the Acrylic is more of the earlier blueish tint that i think they all say is right - the enamel looked right as well but a bit green - its hard how twwo colours supposedly the same are so different!

A shame i was ready to go enamel on this one!

Ads

OOPS, completely forgot about this one. Scanned from what some considered to be the "Holy Grail" of color, the Monogram German Aircraft Painting Guide.

GermanAircraft.jpg

I think with a bit of lighter and darker shading we will have a winner - well for that paint chip anyway!!

p

clear.gif

clear.gif

RLM655.jpg

clear.gif

clear.gif

2779RLM_65.jpg

Ads

Edited by Ads

Now, this is somehow funny, at least to me:

Kevin does a scan of paint samples that are at least 30 years old, on paper that aged also, so the yellowing paper might have influence to additionally change the hue of the sample. Source of error #1

The scan itself, on what equipment is it done? Has this equipment been calibrated to the highest possible standard? Looking on my equipment here I would guess it isn´t... ;) Source of error #2

Has the scan been manipulated in any way by an image editing software, so the hue could have changed again? Source of error #3

Adam, is you computer display calibrated to the highest possible standard as it is done in the advertising industry, for example? Mine is not... B) Source of error #4

The colour samples you sprayed onto the wing of your Me 262 could be different from the same colour of another batch produced. This once happened with me, when I switched to a new tin of, according to the label, the same colour. It simply looked different than the colour I used a minute ago! Source of error #5

The colour sample from the book has (had) white paper as a substrate, did you prime the surface of your Me 262´s wing with a white colour, too? Source of error #6

Do you have established a fixed and stable system for thinning your model paint with its thinner? I don´t... Source of error #7

Has the original thinner been used, the one the manufacturer of your modelling paint suggests? Source of error #8

Do you have a standardised (daylight) lighting equipment on your workspace? I kinda have... Source of error #9

Adam & Kevin: no offense meant at all! I just wanted to show some, but not all, possible influences making it really difficult to compare two colour samples. It simply is nearly impossible the way it is shown here, with a scan displayed on a computer screen and a paint sample airbrushed to a piece of plastic.

IMHO we will never ever have the "perfect" colours available for our kits. They simply don´t exist! They even didn´t exist 60 years ago! I had some struggle with this situation myself, but some day I simply decided if a colour is close enough than I´ll used it. Doing so I regained some of the fun of modelling.

With due respect,

Thomas

Hey i understand exactly what you mean.

on reading a lot i have decided that the earlier shade - the one i am after, was a bit more blue than grey - so of the choices i had on hand ( and i had 6) i would try one. I did and its a little too dark blue - but a lighter shade will sort it out.

You are right matching colours from a different source is hard -but i didnt have a wurger parked outside to try it out on!:BANGHEAD2:

As close as possible is ok for me - thats why i asked what people use in their personal experience - and if they had an example - no one did so the next best thing has been very nicely provided so ill go with that

I went with the examples provided and others experiences on the net - as well as my experiences looking at the real aircraft at mueums/shows etc, Without a real good start i wouldnt be anywhere - so thanks to all those who helped

Ads

Now, this is somehow funny, at least to me:

Kevin does a scan of paint samples that are at least 30 years old, on paper that aged also, so the yellowing paper might have influence to additionally change the hue of the sample. Source of error #1

With due respect,

Thomas

Agreed, none of the web based data (regardless of origin or age), is absolute, but at least (hopefully), gets close to the ballpark. Ultimately, I believe it's up to the individual modeller to do what pleases his own eye, for that is the only viewer who really matters. There has to be hundreds of blue and blue/green combinations, but some seem to look better when applied than others do, so the modeler is left to seek whatever color falls within the general range that suits his percieved notion of what's right, whether it is right or not.