NEW WWI RODEN 611 Nieuport 24 bis Release

Mike

FYI : GROUP CO-OP ORDER INFO : http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=34806&do=findComment&comment=324456

Roden Has released yet another in their Orginal 32nd Large Scale WWI Series, the Nieuport 24 bis

The Supplier says they are in stock and ready for Order. Roden Increased thier Prices slightly.

611.jpg611_dec2.gif611_ram.jpg611_dec1.gif

Edited by Mike

This looks like a great kit. Other than the fact that Diana was only painted on the right side of the fuselage, this is the Nieuport I have been hoping to see for a long time. It looks like they could follow it up with a much better 17 as well, or we could just use these parts to upgrade Hobbycraft's.

Tnarg

... Other than the fact that Diana was only painted on the right side of the fuselage.

Tnarg

I am curious as to the basis for this statement. The Nieuport Fighters Datafile by Windsock states that Diana was painted on both sides of the fuselage.

1261140.jpg1208802.jpg

Youve got to do a Google image search for the Nieuport 24 bis. THere are a plenty French Five color camo schemes and Russian Green etc, the markings for this series really some of the most striking of all WWI planes.

Yours MIke

n24bis.jpg

Edited by Mike

I am not sure if this is a Ni-24 bis ? The (Bis) indicates new. They replaced the Rounded larger rudder back for the Orignal Ni17 rudder becuase of control/structual problems with the ROunded tail. NOT a new type becuase of the tail replacement but still different it was designated a "bis" ?

Nieuport24bisUSAS3rdAviationInstructionCenterIssoudunFrancia1918.jpg

I am curious as to the basis for this statement. The Nieuport Fighters Datafile by Windsock states that Diana was painted on both sides of the fuselage.

The photos of Diana on the right hand side of aircraft #5086 appeared in a number of old Polish publications, since she was the interesting part of the plane. Volume #1, number 3 of Militaria Magazine from Poland quite a few years ago showed the aircraft on a railroad flatcar from two angles on the right hand side (pages 16 and 18), still in Russian revolutionary colors with a red star on the tail. The article also has a photo (page 19) in Polish colors of Diana on the right hand side again, with red and white on the underside of the elevator surfaces and checkerboard insignia under lower wings (but not the underside of the top wings) and on the tail. These are probably the basis of the assumption that she was on both sides.

The Militaria article shows a photo (page 19) taken almost exactly from the back of the plane where you can make out Diana on the right hand side and what looks like a mast and a banner on the left hand side. There are no red and white insignia on the elevator upper surfaces. All wing surfaces are just checkerboards and run to the edges of the wings, full chord, no surrounding border outside with contrasting red or white. The rudder surfaces do have those surrounds, like the Roden decals show.

Those same photos showed up again recently in Revi #55, but missing the view from the back of the plane showing the banner on the left hand side. I have been wondering and searching for years to figure out more about the left hand side, and am ready to build this one with the tarp covering the left hand side if I can't get the correct information. I saw photos again in "Over the Front" I believe, but still no more concrete information about what was on the banner. The photos are credited to Tomasz Kopanski, but since they are halftones and really high contrast, I can't see much more with photo processing. If we could get a scan of the original or a lower generation copy, maybe we could pull out more detail... I don't have any more data than that and all my inquiries have been dead ends.

The story of the planes is what convinces me that I really want to build #5086 in Polish colors. The Reds captured Julius Gilevich's wife and held her hostage so that he would serve as CO of the Bolshevik 3rd AAO. Once he discovered that she had escaped, he defected to the Polish side (this was in 1919). I think of Diana as his guardian as he flew and have wanted to make this model from the minute I found out about the story. I don't think I could make the red star version without getting sick to my stomach. I can admire the art of the planes, but have to remember that some of the people involved were serious ("expletive deleted" as they used to say in those Nixon transcripts).

Tnarg

Dear Kevin

Yes it is. A lot of these Later Nieport types, 24bis, 25 , 27 ended up in Polish and Rusian Hands, Imperial Russian Navy, White and Red Forces and fought on during the "revolution".

Yours Mike

Please Gotta "Fill this Order Up !" See the Group buy INFO if your interested in this or any other ROden release on the cheap ?

Yours Mike

“Serbian Aviation” or “Srpska Aviatika” as it called (or Royal Serbian AF) also had many types of Neiuport fighters on Salonica Front and also after the war, especially later types.

It is great news that Roden made some new models of Nieuport fighters!

We have fantastic book on subject of royal Serbian AF in WWI called “Wings of Serbia” (Krila Srbije), book is completely in Serbian and English.

It has more than 500 pages (hardcover A4) and than 500 never before published photographs with some 60 or so full 3D computer aircraft renderings. Great stuff for WWI fans!

Dear Kevin

Yes it is. A lot of these Later Nieport types, 24bis, 25 , 27 ended up in Polish and Rusian Hands, Imperial Russian Navy, White and Red Forces and fought on during the "revolution".

Yours Mike

Please Gotta "Fill this Order Up !" See the Group buy INFO if your interested in this or any other ROden release on the cheap ?

Yours Mike

I’m trying to determine at this point if I can afford a couple of Spad fighters. Don’t really need them, but I want them anyway. I’m really trying to save up for some of These