Hawker Hunter T.7 Update 2/28/16- Rebirth

scvrobeson

Wow, thats fantastic Matt, I just love that colour scheme and the way you have executed it is fantastic!

Awesome mate

Cheers

Anthony

Thanks Anthony! I really like this color scheme, it's just so different than what you normally see on Hunters. The grey and blue look really good on my desk, and should look good in the display cabinet. I'm glad you like it, thanks for looking in man. Hope summer down in NZ is good, it's starting to get really cold here in California.

Matt :party0023:

Very classy. :coolio:

Thank you Kagemusha! I think that's part of the reason I was drawn to this scheme, it's so simple, but still exciting. The light grey and blue really look good together, and keeping the build clean is really making it look nice. I'm usually one for weathering planes so they look well used and beat up, but a clean, airshow bird seems to be just what I needed.

• 1 month later...

Hey guys! Today is the first official day of my winter break from school, I'm off from now until January 17th, so hopefully there will be tons of model building accomplished during that time. First job though was to get through some unfinished builds, and the Flanker and Hunter jumped straight to the top of the list. Today, in the nice sun, I went out and did the underside cods masking, and sprayed it black. Also did the serial numbers while I was at it, so I might be done now with the mask work. One question though for everyone, does the Hunter have under-wing roundels? I can't find a guide that shows if the trainers did or not?

HunterT7122.jpg

Used the directions in the original Revell kit to help me place the masks over the wheel wells.

And looks like the seam in the middle opened, so I have to go in and fix that too with some Surfacer and sanding. Shouldn't be hard to repair

HunterT7123.jpg

HunterT7124.jpg

HunterT7125.jpg

HunterT7126.jpg

All painting was done with Tamiya Flat Black, XF-1, it's so good to see these paints back in my LHS, since I was really starting to miss these great paints. I know some guys don't like them, but I love the Tamiya acrylics.

HunterT7127.jpg

And the doors separated from the underside, showing how the codes look when taken apart. Whoever thought it was a good idea to put all of the codes on the underside across the gear doors was a jerk....:BANGHEAD2: Luckily Ian's masks are amazing, and performed great.

That's it for now, hopefully will be able to get this thing finished up before the end of the year, I've got two weeks left/ :thumbsup:

Thanks everyone for reading in, I hope you all enjoy it. All comments and critiques are welcomed.

Edited by scvrobeson

One question though for everyone, does the Hunter have under-wing roundels? I can't find a guide that shows if the trainers did or not?

Matt, unless your particular scheme clearly shows no lower roundels then it would be highly unlikely that it did not have roundels on the lower wings.

I've seen several profiles for the trainers and they all had them.

I'm with you on those codes too, PITA! I'm about to stick my doors in with blu tac and mask them off for my codes too.

Good stuff!

Phil :speak_cool:

Guest Peterpools

HI Matt

Just catching up on the Hunter build and you made some amazing progress. How right you are about once the painting was nearing completion, the color scheme would look great and it sure does. Super work on the masks and detail painting, they look just great. I also noticed the open seam on the underside and hopefully it didn't create a mess cleaning it up.

Looking forward to your next progress updates, know that your a man of leisure until Jan 17th.

Peter

Hi Matt,

Looking forward to see more of your LSP updates, since you are on uni winter holidays.

Nice work using the painting mask.

Regards,

Christian

Thanks Christian! I hope to get this one done over the break, I should have enough time.

Thanks for the nice comments, I'm really enjoying your Ju-52 build. That thing is going to be so cool once it's done.

Matt, unless your particular scheme clearly shows no lower roundels then it would be highly unlikely that it did not have roundels on the lower wings.

I've seen several profiles for the trainers and they all had them.

I'm with you on those codes too, PITA! I'm about to stick my doors in with blu tac and mask them off for my codes too.

Good stuff!

Phil :speak_cool:

Thanks Phil! I'll stick them on then. All I have of this scheme is one profile in MAI and a couple of pictures online, but nothing that shows the underside, so I figured I'd better ask.

Actually, you can just press fit the doors into place, that's what I did with mine. They just stuck in place, and the masks stopped them from falling off.

Thanks! Hope to see your build get done too!

HI Matt

Just catching up on the Hunter build and you made some amazing progress. How right you are about once the painting was nearing completion, the color scheme would look great and it sure does. Super work on the masks and detail painting, they look just great. I also noticed the open seam on the underside and hopefully it didn't create a mess cleaning it up.

Looking forward to your next progress updates, know that your a man of leisure until Jan 17th.

Peter

Thanks Peter! The underside seam was actually super simple to fix, just some Mr. Surfacer, and a re-spray. Took nothing more than some quick work.

I'm glad you like the scheme, I really think this one looks cool, can't wait to get it all done. Not sure how I'll get the high shine finish on it though, that will take some thinking....

I'm going to be very happy and relaxed until January 17th, hopefully doing a whole lot of building during this time, maybe clear out some of my ever-expanding stash.

I hope you're having happy holidays Peter.

Guest Peterpools

Matt

Just wondering if the seam might continue to 'spread' or re-appear down the road. Thought maybe a bit a CCA first and the Mr Surfacer might be a bit of insurance, just in case.

Enjoy the Holidays and your vacation. On my end, things are finally getting back to normal, after you name it and it happened.

Peter

• 4 years later...

Talk about bringing back a Shelf of Doom project.  The recent thread about SoD projects made me decide to get this one off, and get it finished.  I decided to once again change schemes, and do the camo'd version out of the Fisher conversion.  So I went and sanded down the old paint and markings to take it back to gray, then spent about a week fixing mistakes and smoothing everything out. It's amazing how much better I've gotten in 4 years of building, I couldn't accept the work I did back then.  A lot of filling, sanding, and scribing to bring it up to spec.  Now it's all covered in black primer ready for paint to start.

001_zpstpahpuwg.jpg

004_zps0bt0uhxw.jpg

006_zps6ziw527c.jpg

003_zpsoyq48fcx.jpg

002_zpsrvaqlmpj.jpg

005_zpsgrcitrof.jpg

Matt  :frantic: